no centerstand/no stands

More
25 Apr 2007 17:58 #133975 by 13thlevel
no centerstand/no stands was created by 13thlevel
The PO removed the centerstand from my bike so now I have no way to remove the tire. are there any tricks that you all know of to remove the wheels without a centerstand or stands. All I have is a cheap hydraulic jack and some jack stands.:angry:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2007 18:03 #133977 by peachc
Replied by peachc on topic no centerstand/no stands
Easiest way I did it with my old KZ750 was to remove the exhaust, use 2x4's across to support on the frame and use the jack to hoist it in the middle. It gave it enough support to take the rear wheel off.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
25 Apr 2007 18:25 #133984 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic no centerstand/no stands
I run a thick bar through where the center stand was. Just in front of the tabs with the bolt holes. This bar is supported by two jack stands. -Duck

More
25 Apr 2007 18:46 #133997 by steell
Replied by steell on topic no centerstand/no stands
I just put jackstands under the footpeg mounts or on the frame, there's always somewhere that will work.

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2007 18:51 #133998 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic no centerstand/no stands
if you have the header off find yourself 3 plastic milk crates,im told you can find these behind grocery stores:whistle: :whistle: :P anyway put 2 right next to eachother and one centered up directly behind.toss a couple old rugs on them so ya dont scratch paint up.get a couple buddies to help you hoist it on top and then you can take both wheels off;)

More
25 Apr 2007 19:04 #134001 by 13thlevel
Replied by 13thlevel on topic no centerstand/no stands
Awesome ideas everyone, thanks alot! I wouldn't know what to do without you guys, seriously.

Attachments:

More
25 Apr 2007 19:08 #134005 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic no centerstand/no stands
Here's what I do...
My center-stand is off too,so if I want to raise the rear of the bike,I use My floor-jack on the BRACKET for the center-stand,and if I want to raise the front,I lift the bike from the base of the oil filter.The cup of the floor-jack goes around the bolt for the oil filter.
And of course,the kickstand is down while I'm doing this.
If I'm going to be wrenching on the bike,or removing parts while I have it lifted,I use a tie-down(s),and secure it to the rafters in My garage.If I'm just lubing the chain,or something minor,then I just use the floor-jack,and make sure that I lower it when I'm done.

You SHOULD be able to do this too,with a bottle-jack.It's going to have a smaller cup,so be very careful...and I recommend supporting it from above.And only lift it as high as You need to.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
26 Apr 2007 04:34 #134103 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic no centerstand/no stands
I went ahead and bought a center stand off of fleabay. But it was from a police model, and I found out that the police model center stand is longer than the stock one, making it impossible for anyone short of Magilla Gorilla to pivot the bike up. So what I do is drive the bike up onto a couple pieces of 2X4, which raises the bike high enough to be able to pivot the bike back onto it normally. That takes care of being able to remove the back wheel.
For the front wheel, I leave it on the center stand, and stack some sand bags across the seat to hold down the back of the bike to raise the front end.
Also, if you buy one of the police bike center stands, you'll find that the bolts don't work in the bracket on the bike. You'll have to come up with some big allen bolts to use instead.
Normally I'd probably just used a floor jack to lift it, but I'm lazy, and I'll do anything I can to avoid taking my header off.

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/04/26 07:37

More
26 Apr 2007 04:59 #134107 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic no centerstand/no stands
Same here......center stand lives off the bike. Come time to raise it up, just install as usual and hoist it up. When finished, I takes it off and stores it away.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!