Progressive fork springs - cost?

More
15 Dec 2005 11:35 #13333 by OKC_Kent
Progressive fork springs - cost? was created by OKC_Kent
If you ever bought Progressive's, do you remember what they cost? I have a line on a set for my bike, just want to know what to offer him.

Thanks

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2005 11:50 #13339 by Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
Replied by Aloha Mr Hand Z1R on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
You can get them out of CycleDepot.com for $80 a pair.

I got Prog shocks there recently. Fork springs are next on the list.

More
15 Dec 2005 14:01 #13364 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
I installed a pair of Progressive fork springs about 10 years ago and it made my bike handle worse. As I applied the front brakes hard the front end would get REALLY squirrly. It was scary. I took them back out and the problem went away. Never figured out why.
The springs are still sitting on my shelf.
Anyone want them let me know. they are for the KZ650.
The best front end mod I have ever done was a fork brace.

More
15 Dec 2005 16:19 #13371 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
The stock 650 springs are very good really. I never fooled with any of mine. The KZ1000MKII had a terribly undersprung front. The progressives worked great there.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Dec 2005 17:37 #13380 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?

I installed a pair of Progressive fork springs about 10 years ago and it made my bike handle worse.

I get a squirrly feeling sometimes, and I have Progressive fork springs. I found that when I changed my Fork Oil, I had no problem getting the top caps back on the fork tube. I did not have to commpress the spring much or at all if I remember correctly. This was with the front wheel off the floor.

Do the stock springs stick out of the fork tubes when the caps are off, and do they need to be pushed in to get the caps on?

I'm wondering if I need to add some spacers/collars in there to stiffen and make contact with the springs?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
16 Dec 2005 06:49 #13449 by waterman
Replied by waterman on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
I just got a price on Progressive fork springs for my bike the other day from Jeff (Z-1 Enterprises). It was around $65. He doesn't carry mine but will order them.

More
16 Dec 2005 08:38 #13479 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
When you buy Progressive springs you need to be very careful about whether or not the springs they sell require a spacer or not. This information is hidden in one of the many footnotes on their reference information. For some bikes (like the J motored LTD's, they tell you to use a 3" spacer. Now if you install the springs without the spacer they will be VERY sloppy.

I don't really like this approach by Progressive - but these days there isn't too many options for fork springs and I guess it allows them to have a handful of generic springs that will fit just about any bike with the right sized spacer.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 Dec 2005 09:10 #13486 by rstnick
Can you tell me Jeff if the '78Kz650C requires spacers? Or where can I find some info on this?

Again, should the springs need compression to get the caps on? This is with the front wheel off the ground.

I get a wobble at high speeds and am wondering if the front end raises enough for the springs to get loose and sloppy?

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/12/16 12:13

Rob
CANADA

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
16 Dec 2005 09:33 #13488 by Jeff.Saunders
Progressive lists their part number of 11-1106 for this bike and says no spacer is required.

These springs should be 486mm long and 25mm across

Normally, I've found it's an effort to push the fork caps down enough to get the thread on the caps to bite. You should have a fair amount of tension on the cap while fitting it - to the point if you let go of it, it would sail 15' - 20' across a workshop (been there and done that).

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 Dec 2005 10:40 #13491 by Jeff.Saunders
Progressive confuses this by saying these springs fit 77-83 KZ650 without spacers. But then add 78-79 SR's see spacer instructions in with the springs...

Looking in the Clymer manual, it lists the following lengths for springs

KZ650-B1 477.7mm
KZ650-B2 & C1 485.0mm
KZ650-D1 522.0mm

Could your forks be off a different model?

When installing the springs, they usually sit just outside the fork tubes when starting to compress them - so you have to push them down about 1" to get the cap thread to bite.

Post edited by: jeff.saunders, at: 2005/12/16 13:47

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 Dec 2005 15:38 #13519 by rstnick
Thanks for the info. I'm going to have a good look at it this Winter, and may experiment with some spacers.
As far as I know the forks are stock. I've had the bike since '84, but who knows what happened before that.

My front wheel come Spring:

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/01/22 17:31

Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
16 Dec 2005 16:45 #13526 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Progressive fork springs - cost?
Rob, I had changed seals/boots last summer, and if I remember correctly, I did have to compress the stock springs to get the cap started, and was able to use a 1/2" DR ratchet for the cap. BTW, a hardwood broom handle tapered to hold the inner tube, and a seal driver which I had machined .025" under seal diameter worked like a charm!

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."