Looking To Polish Brake Calipers and Mount

More
23 Apr 2007 12:09 #133112 by reborn650
Hey gang - Anyone out there in kzr land have any experience bringing the disc brake calipers and rear brake bracket up to a nice polish?

I had the rear brake mount on my 650 custom (three discs) bead blasted a few years ago and it has a rough cast finish. I was thinking of sanding and smoothing it out and polishing it to a nicer finish, the same with the brake calipers which I had painted.

These parts might look a little tricker with a better finish to match the rest of my bike.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/04/23 15:10

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
23 Apr 2007 12:38 #133122 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Looking To Polish Brake Calipers and Mount
I just did a half assed polish job on my rear caliper.
I just sprayed it with some citris paint remover to get all the paint off. Then I just hit it with a buffer wheel in my die grinder with some Mother's aluminum polish. Came out pretty decent.
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 12:41 #133125 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Looking To Polish Brake Calipers and Mount
Gee - take that shot of your calipers last January, Colin? :P

Hey - it's possible to polish pretty much anything - it's just a matter of time and detail work.

Not having a pic at hand - and guessing that the calipers look something like the Z/KZ900/1000 series, might be able to save yourself a fair amount of time and effort while producing a snazzy look by painting them your favorite shade of black - stain, flat, whatever - then polishing the raised relief areas.

It'd look good either way, but a bit of color to contrast the polished legs would look trick as well.

It also has the benefit of saving you a considerable amount of time polishing the low spots. ;)

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 12:43 #133126 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Looking To Polish Brake Calipers and Mount
i think ive got a chrome front and rear caliper for a kz1000 around here im not gonna use ,theyll need to be rebuilt if ya wanna trade;)

More
23 Apr 2007 15:15 #133162 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Looking To Polish Brake Calipers and Mount
Yup, musta been a snow day PT. Damned photoshop (most likely it was incompetent operator error), I was trying to post the Kawasaki line-art pic of the brake mount. I guess this is why my graphics folks don't let me near the production computers:)

Wireman. Thanks for the offer but I think I am gonna give the three calipers I have a little elbow grease since I just rebuilt them. I'm going to wait for a little rainy day stretch and then sand the brake mount smooth, polish it and see how it goes. Might even try it over the next few days as I am waiting on a new cam chain.

As far as the calipers I'll get them bead blasted then hit them with the wet sandpaper and Auto-Sol.

Thanks gang for your input. Was curious if anyone had ever done this before.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...