Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!

More
21 Apr 2007 20:31 #132640 by ScottZ
Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack! was created by ScottZ
Ok, I picked up a universal KG luggage rack at the local salvage yard for $25 bucks, but need to extend the rails out another 3 inches or so and seems like they have too much rust inside to move them. I have soaked them in WD40, used a torch to heat them, and also tried heating them with a quick dunk in water to try and shock them loose. Any other ideas how to get these apart?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2007 20:44 #132643 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
Hot candle wax.

I've never tried this myself, but remember reading some posts on it. You heat a candle and let the hot drippings pour down into the stuck parts. let it cool and pull apart. Or something like that. Maybe someone else knows this technique, or something else.

Coca Cola might work too.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
21 Apr 2007 20:46 #132644 by ScottZ
Replied by ScottZ on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
Not sure if the wax would go in, coke is a good idea though, or some other source of acid. Thanks!

More
21 Apr 2007 20:58 #132649 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
PB Blaster?

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
21 Apr 2007 21:32 #132656 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
Hey Scott did you get that from Steeles. Good work man. Seeing that this is chassis, did you do you fork seals yet? I did mine today, so I can help you out, but you might need to bring your bike here, since I got the right sized bricks to block up the engine. Up to you bud!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
21 Apr 2007 21:32 #132658 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
i know wax works on bolts and nuts, you heat up the part and apply wax like soldering pipes

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
22 Apr 2007 08:15 #132716 by ScottZ
Yep, Steeles. I finally found a big pile of them around the north side kinda hidden. I changed out my seals a couple of weeks ago, they seem to be holding up ok. I used a hydraulic floor jack and some 2x4's.

More
22 Apr 2007 09:06 #132727 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
You might try this stuff.

Kroil

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Klaus42
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2007 16:40 #132831 by Klaus42
Replied by Klaus42 on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
Haven't tried it yet, but have heard tell that vinegar is an old standby to break down rust...

More
22 Apr 2007 18:49 #132874 by ScottZ
Well, I cheated. The tube was pretty thick, so I cut a thin slot down the bottom of the outer tube with a dremel and then managed to get them apart. IF it looks too weak for my uses, I will either rivet it or when I get the use of a welder I will weld it back. Seems pretty sturdy though. Next is to fabricate a sissy bar for it.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2007 19:26 #132894 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Stupid (*&^%*$%# luggage rack!
ScottZ wrote:

Well, I cheated. The tube was pretty thick, so I cut a thin slot down the bottom of the outer tube with a dremel and then managed to get them apart. IF it looks too weak for my uses, I will either rivet it or when I get the use of a welder I will weld it back. Seems pretty sturdy though. Next is to fabricate a sissy bar for it.

If the tube winds up being too flimsy for comfort, a couple of us have putzed around with custom arrangements for mounting boxes - might find some use looking at an old thread with pics and ideas here...