Fork seal Advice

More
21 Apr 2007 16:15 #132608 by kzwolfsr
Fork seal Advice was created by kzwolfsr
I jus did the fork seals on my 1000 and man thats alot of work. I took off the caps and that made things slip out a whole lot faster and easier to compress the fork to take it out of the clamps/ trees. Yeah, I got that bottom screw to turn, since I loosened it before slackening the fork clamps, but once I got the tubes out, they just turned and never came out. So Guys what did I do? I oil was gray and full of silver and I sure wasn' gonna just put new seals on and just put new oil in to mix with the old, HELL NO. Good thing when I went to the store to buy oil I didn't buy just one bottle cos the guy said I only needed 1 I bought 2, and thats a good thing. I had to sit there put in new oil, like 2 or 3 oz at a time, work the tubes up and down and flushing the tubes repeatedly til the oil came out of the weep hole green and not cloudy gray. Once I got those cleared up, I realized the seals wouldn't come out without heat..... another jam, since I dont have a torch or heat gun. What would they do on the island? Well I can't lit a fire downtown and I can't use my mother's stove, so I read the manual again and there was that key word "pry". I got my flathead screw driver and hammer and punched a slight indent in the seal and I just jumped out of position in there. What a relieving seen. I got my seals done, new oil, but no air as yet. Put my cleaned up Tokico brake pads back in there since they got soaked in the fork oil that was leaking when I got it. Do you think I should show the previous owner what the bike looks like now from this picture of what it looked like when I bought it?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2007 16:16 #132609 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Fork seal Advice
Did anyone notice the Kzr patch ad above has the word ahead spelt wrong?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.