Front brake light switch

More
20 Apr 2007 07:54 #132209 by Ray J
Front brake light switch was created by Ray J
I need to put a switch on my front brake lever. The current switch is in the brake line and does not turn the brake light on until I am squeezing fairly hard. I would like to put another switch on the acutal brake lever, so when I squeeze the handle, the switch turns on the light.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2007 08:17 #132215 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Front brake light switch
I'm using a Ho**a CB600 front brake lever set-up with the master cylinder,and it has the micro-switch built into it.
I had the SAME problem,so I went this route...much better!
Go to a bike bone-yard and look for something newer that HAS that style.You should be able to adapt just about any set-up to Your bike.
Just pay attention to the mirror mount.The one I have didn't have one,so I had to make one up.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Apr 2007 08:22 #132217 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Front brake light switch
Ray J, you have the same model as me, and my front brake acts the same way. That pressure switch in the brake line takes some squeezin' before I get a light. I'm careful to touch my rear brake pedal when I brake, even if I don't need it, so the guy behind me gets a signal.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
20 Apr 2007 09:48 #132247 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Front brake light switch
I have the same problem. I even changed the switch because I thought a newer switch would work better(at lesser of a squeeze on my front brake handle) but it is the same. It really takes a lot of force to initiate the brake lamp. So I do the same as ltdrider...I simply have trained myself to use the rear brake to get the brake lamp lit. At least the rear brake switch sensitivity is adjustable. In fact, I adjusted the rear switch to initiate the brake lamp at the slightest pressure. Now I can just 'tap' the rear brake and get that tailgating jerk off my butt!

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
20 Apr 2007 12:29 #132297 by shaftie1100
Replied by shaftie1100 on topic Front brake light switch
You could also switch to a ltd. front master cylinder... I just installed a new front end on my ride, and I have one sitting here for an 1100, but it should work just fine. The button is under the shoulder of the brake lever, not on/in the brake line.

PM me if you are interested. Any reasonable offer accepted. At this point, I'm just trying to recoup some of my losses from the new parts.

More
21 Apr 2007 03:30 #132483 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic Front brake light switch
What about putting a new hydraulic activated switch in the brake line?

I have a 1000 J and the banjo bolt at the master cylinder looks identical with that on my Ducati. All you do is replace the standard banjo bolt with the one with the switch inside. If its anything like the J the front brake light switch is at the MC and the connectors should be close by. No need to replace MC

I put one of these in a ducati Monster to replace the erratic OEM switch: works perfectly. Bought from Bevel Heaven in US

www.bevelheaven.com/productinfo.html

whilst these are designed for Brembo brakes they might well fit and are ISO metric. Also I suspect these same switches are available for Jap bikes

Post edited by: Kiwiz, at: 2007/04/21 06:34

More
21 Apr 2007 09:02 #132512 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Front brake light switch
Thanks guys. I posted this a few years ago and no one had this problem. I thought I was alone in this crazy mixed up world.
I do what you are doing now, ltdrider. I hit the rear brake when braking. This is not a problem at high speeds, but in stop and go intersections, going 5mph, I have to constantly keep my foot on the brake. Kind of a pain. Nice pics by the way.
Kiwiz, does that banjo bolt fit in where the switch is now at? I have not had the chance to look at mine yet. It is at a friends.

More
23 Apr 2007 01:03 #132971 by Kiwiz
Ray J,

I have a J which has the front brake switch activated off the MC lever, Whilst this gives me no trouble my ducati one (similar) did.

The banjo bolt is that bolt which holds the hose to the MC. These can be replaced with a new bolt which incoporates the brake switch. Picture of it is on the bevel heaven site. Unscrew old, check diameter and length, cut new to length if necessary, replace and bleed.

My feeling is that the standard Jap banjo bolt could be replaced by one of these. Check the diameter and length but it was ISO metric thread. Maybe you consider this a pricy fix but over here no front brake switch working means a failed road test, and replcaing old Ducati crap with new Ducati crap didnt seem a smart option

Post edited by: Kiwiz, at: 2007/04/23 04:03

More
23 Apr 2007 04:08 #132980 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Front brake light switch
I swapped my front master cylander to one from a police model and it had the switch built in. Now I have both switches :) Whole thing cost about $15 on ebay with the handle and all the brake lines included.

More
23 Jul 2007 17:40 #159015 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Front brake light switch
I am finally getting around to fixing this brake problem.

If I am understanding Kiwiz right, I replace the bolt #25, that connects the front brake hose, with a banjo bolt like this:

stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=426

Is that right?

Post edited by: Ray J, at: 2007/07/23 20:42

Post edited by: Ray J, at: 2007/07/23 20:45
Attachments:

More
09 Aug 2007 16:09 #162849 by Kiwiz
Ray J

yep thats right replace the banjo bolt (part#25)with the switch you have shown Although I got mine for a Duc from bevel heaven what you show is identiacl and mine works a treat. Just be careful of the length of the threaded part. Mine was slightly too long but I packed it out with an additional washer

More
09 Aug 2007 20:46 #162904 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Front brake light switch
I need one of those too, my front brake light doesn't work at all. B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s