front wheel wobble

More
19 Apr 2007 19:59 #132067 by Booncha57
front wheel wobble was created by Booncha57
what would cause a wheel to wobble, or appear to wobble. i rode my moms bike today ('94 nighthawk 250) and i noticed some shake in the handle bars at around 30mph and up. i looked down at the front wheel and it looked like it had a slight wobble to it. maybe a bent rim? what else could cause it? maybe out of balance tire? when i took my hands off the bars for a second, they did did a very mild tank slapper almost. it dont want her riding the bike like this. the tire has the proper pressure and my father said he got the wheel off the ground and spun it and he doesnt see what im talking about but its definitely there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2007 20:17 #132073 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic front wheel wobble
maybe the tire is no good. double check the test where you lift the front and spin the tire. I had a rear tire that wobbled bad due to a bulge in it. is it a spoked wheel? if so check for loose spokes. maybe she hit a pot hole and bent it, maybe she lost a wheel weight

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
19 Apr 2007 20:24 #132077 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic front wheel wobble
With the tire off the ground try moving it side to side checking for a loose wheel bearing. Roll the wheel and by holding the axle shaft see if you feel any roughness in the bearing at all,, you could touch the axle with the tip of a screwdriver and put you ear to the handle of it and see if you hear any roughness in the bearing. If it is a wire wheel are all the spokes tight? If it is a cast wheel are there any cracked spokes. Look closely at the tire where it meets the bead is the ridge on the tire even all the way around the rim? this would be caused by the tire bead not popping all the way out if the tire was changed. All I can thnk of for now.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
20 Apr 2007 04:31 #132145 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic front wheel wobble
does the tire show any cupping? this will cause a lot of problems

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Apr 2007 04:46 #132150 by Booncha57
Replied by Booncha57 on topic front wheel wobble
thanks, i will check these things this weekend.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 04:47 #132151 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic front wheel wobble
pull the wheel off check bearings and axle,if they look good have it checked on a wheel balancer that will tell you if rim is bent;)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 05:06 #132153 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic front wheel wobble
Booncha57 wrote:

i looked down at the front wheel and it looked like it had a slight wobble to it.

What everybody else said.

...the tire has the proper pressure and my father said he got the wheel off the ground and spun it and he doesnt see what im talking about but its definitely there.

Somebody's got to be closer to being right - you or your Dad. A wheel running out of round is pretty hard to miss.

If the wheel spins okay - doesn't show an obvious out-of-round condition and the wheel bearings aren't shot, check the steering head/neck bearings.
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2007 19:00 #133234 by Booncha57
ok with the wheel off the ground it looks like the rim is bent. it is a spoked wheel, does "truing" (if thats the word) have something to do with this or is it unrepairable?

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 19:07 #133239 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic front wheel wobble
it depends on how far out of wack it is.if its eggshaped your out of luck,if its just pulling to one side a little when you spin it you might be able to true it up ;)

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 Apr 2007 19:12 #133243 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic front wheel wobble
Loosen all the spokes till they're just loose. Use your finger nails and pluck'em to make sure they make the same flat note. Spin the wheel. Does it run off gradually or kink at one point? The kink will likely be obvious. If you find a kink, ditch the rim. If it just plain wobbles and the spokes are loose it can likely be trued.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/04/23 22:12

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
23 Apr 2007 19:22 #133249 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic front wheel wobble
Booncha57 wrote:

ok with the wheel off the ground it looks like the rim is bent. it is a spoked wheel, does "truing" (if thats the word) have something to do with this or is it unrepairable?

Booncha...Yes,truing the rim is possible.
You'll have to remove the tire first,to do this though.
Get Yourself a spoke-wrench,and make sure it's the proper size.
Also...You might have to heat the spokes with a torch to get them to break free,if they are corroded at all,and chances are...they are.

Once You have the tire removed from the rim,remount it(the rim) like You normally would,in the forks,and spin it from there,to see exactly where the left side or right side wobble is.You may also have some up and down play in there as well.
As You spin the rim,ark with a felt pen,where the rim leaves center,and mark on the side that moves away from the forks.This way,You'll spot the mark,and know that You have to get the rim pulled over TO that side,etc.Loosening the spokes on the opposite side from the mark You made,will allow You to tighten(but don't over tighten) the spokes to pull the rim over,that direction.
It's a timely process,but You CAN do it.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 Apr 2007 19:36 #133253 by Booncha57
ok good, thanks guys. maybe this weekend ill try it.