Disk Rotor Service Limit

• tellietubbie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 17:20 #131288 by tellietubbie
Disk Rotor Service Limit was created by tellietubbie
Guys, explain this if you can please.
I took my twin front rotors off and miked them, 4.43mm and 4.46mm. Service limit is 4.5mm.[So says the factory manual], So are they both scrap? The reason I ask is because when I look at potential replacements which are marked for my bike[they are the correct diameter and have the correct bolt number/spacing], they're ALL brand new, and ALL 4.5mm thick.[like me youre thinking:blink: ].How can a new rotor be on the service limit? Is there something I don't know here?:dry: :blink:
Thanks in advance people.Incidently, the rotors are 27 years old and started life 6mm thick.:S

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2007/04/17 21:50

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2007 19:57 #131342 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Disk Rotor Service Limit
The rotors on my 26 year old bike now measure 4.80 mm and the 24 year old bike measures 5.10 mm. It sounds like somebody butchered yours on a brake lathe. Best to refinish them by grinding out the scoring and hard spots, thus removing very little material.

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
17 Apr 2007 22:52 #131392 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Disk Rotor Service Limit
Hey tellietubbie - Here is my experience with brake disks.

I just had the 3 disks on my "77 Kz650 Custom done at a local machine shop. They had scoring on them like an old old LP album. The machinist has been doing these types of jobs for over 45 years and he does them by hand with a grinding disk. No computerization in this old shop.

He said the disk was 7 m.m. thick from the factory stamping on the disk hub and after he was done they measured 6.79 m.m. The service limit on mine were 6 m.m.

Given that the bike has been in my family for nearly 25 years I don't believe they were ever turned by a machine shop before.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• tellietubbie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 02:26 #131413 by tellietubbie
Replied by tellietubbie on topic Disk Rotor Service Limit
Oldcoldankles,good advice,thanks a lot.Like your bike,never seen one of them.If you feel you're getting on a bit feel free to crate it up,I'll look after it for yer :)
Reborn650:very interesting,wish I could find an older machinist,I just can't convince myself that it's a good idea to leave what for me are valuable artifacts with spotty teenagers with wide staring eyes from night before:dry: A typical price for my disks would run me the equivalant of $900 American dollars:ohmy: [3 disks].I need a decent machinist.Thanks a lot,your comments are appreciatedB)