Plating Sprockets??

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
13 Apr 2007 09:54 #129671 by 79MKII
Plating Sprockets?? was created by 79MKII
I received an offset sprocket for my KZ1000 that is plain steel, not plated at all. Not black oxide, not cadmium, just plain, ready-to-rust steel.

I am sending some nuts and bolts to have them zinc plated, so I was wondering if the sprocket could be zinc plated? Would it hold up?

The sprocket will show since I have an aftermarket cover and the zinc would look nice.

Opinions please?

Thanks

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2007 10:01 #129672 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Plating Sprockets??
Why not? ;)

If you don't mind the cost, it'll definitely inprove the looks on the critter over the long haul - though sprockets tend to collect a film on gunk anyways - but at least your gunk will be shiny - which is nice! :lol:

Naturally, the plating will be worn off up around the pin/plate contact area in fairly short order, but that's to be expected.

Otherwise, have at it... B)

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2007 11:45 #129690 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Plating Sprockets??
i had the rear sprocket on my z1 chrome plated,held up fine;)

More
13 Apr 2007 19:06 #129820 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Plating Sprockets??
wireman wrote:

i had the rear sprocket on my z1 chrome plated,held up fine;)

Yep, chrome would work fine, chrome is a very wear resistant metal, just look at the shafts on hydraulic cylinders.

Zinc on the other hand, is no where near as tough as chrome.

KD9JUR

More
13 Apr 2007 20:00 #129841 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Plating Sprockets??
A word on chrome,yes its a very hard surface, its super for lineing gun barrels,but as a lifelong hotrodder(cars)I have found brackets, housings, exhaust ect are prone to cracking, it is a condition called hydrogen embrittlement, because of the process involved in plating, it changes the stucture of the metal turning it into a different material altering its wear and stress factors, forged, high carbon and hardened steel are not effected as much as mild steel or low carbon, the thinner the steel more its effected,take for example the teeth on the sprocket, wearas the chrome on the surface is very tough the metal under it in the gear area has been embrittlized making it more effected by stress,myself I would paint the sprocket instead of plating. Or polish the steel

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2007 20:11 #129848 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Plating Sprockets??
put it in oven after its plated and heat it up then let it cool down,problem solved;)