Frankensteining my suspension, summation request

More
13 Apr 2007 06:54 #129599 by Wirewulf
A lot of you guys will probably tell me this topic has been beat to death, but since so many have done the swaps, I'm looking for the reader's digest version. Some of you have tried different things, so I'd like to know if there's anything you would have done differently if you had to do it over again.
Donor bike:
1981 KZ 750 LTD

Parts to add:
front forks and triple tree from an '03 zx6r
Rear swingarm and monoshock from '05 gsxr 650
front wheel from same '03 zx6r
rear wheel from same '03 zx6r

What I think I know:
Bushings in swingarm will have to be replaced to fit bolt on KZ. Bushings from 86-87 gixxer will fit both the bolt and the swingarm, right?

Offset front sprocket will be needed, how much I'll probably have to determine once I get the swingarm and wheel mounted.

Spacers needed for rear wheel.

Front stem from current bike can be pressed into zx6r triple after cutting existing???

That's all I got for now, any tips, confirmation, reassurance, and grief will all be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2007 07:05 #129602 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Frankensteining my suspension, summation request
WW, this topic has been done to dea... err.. nevermind!
Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2007 07:10 #129605 by Wirewulf
I know, I know. Just lookin' to glean any fresh advice before I break out the pliers and the blowtorch!

More
13 Apr 2007 09:00 #129656 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Frankensteining my suspension, summation request
I don't know about the newer bikes, but you can use the early Gixxer bearing spacers in swingarms up to '95 for the Gsxr750, and up to '98 for the Gsxr1100. I think the bearings for the newer bswingarms are huge. I guess you could use the old Gixxer races with another spacer around it but I wouldn't since you could have one big race for the price of a smaller one to take up the difference.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
14 Apr 2007 11:02 #130037 by Fossil
If you've already bought the GSXR swingarm, this won't be any help to you, but if you're still shopping....
I just bought a ZZR1200 swingarm for my GPZ1100 and found it's almost a bolt on. The 636 swingarm looks to be the same, maybe other models too. It uses a 20mm axle and a 20mm pivot bolt. The width is just a bit wider than the original swingarm which can be made up for grinding down the boss on the inside of the swingarm plate (on 83/84 GPz1100s anyway), removing the large unnecessary drive side washer and having made up a non drive side bearing spacer that only extends a hair out of the swingarm. I'm using the original GPz axle for the pivot bolt and opening up the frame to take the 20mm spindle. Makes fitting the Kawasaki wheel easy, chain alignment will be your main problem.
This is slightly modified from my original post - been working on it this afternoon.

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/04/14 20:51
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2007 11:06 #130039 by Fossil
This where I got mine from...$100 brand new! (new bike take-offs).

cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-KAWA-ZZR1200-SWING...tegoryZ35585QQrdZ1QQ
cmdZViewItem

When you figure out what offset you need, compare other Kawasaki sprockets that have the same spline and possibly the offset you require. You may need to have the rear hub machined to move the sprocket inboard. In my case I theoretically needed 11mm (we'll see!?), so a ZZR1100 sprocket gave me 6mm more offset and I had 5mm machined off the hub.

www.jtsprockets.com/

And here's a shock length chart for picking a shock for your monoshock conversion

oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?perversepo...ength/index.htm~main

My opinion...it's easier to keep it all Kawasaki.

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/04/14 15:27