Anyone done this conversion?

More
11 Apr 2007 18:59 #128998 by austin3119
Anyone done this conversion? was created by austin3119
I was going to go with a GS1100 swingarm and do a 160 on the rear tire and new wheel, but I really want to keep my bike looking stock.

Sooo I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 x 18 Excel rim or the likes and putting a Metzeler ME 880 140 x 18 tire back there on the stock swingarm with the drum hub.

As far as rims go will a basic steel chrome aluminum wheel with the 40 holes do the job like found here? The WM6 .

store.eastcoastwheels.com/exchstribysi.html

Also am I going to be able to get the 140 back there? Any chance of getting a 150 in the stock swingarm?

Any insights would help.

Thanks guys.

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 19:03 #129002 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Anyone done this conversion?
140 might go with stock arm,i dont think youre gonna get a 150 in there though.;) you could cheat and push your wheel back in the adjusters for a little extra wheelbase ,just need a longer chain;)

More
11 Apr 2007 20:28 #129061 by tobiism
Replied by tobiism on topic Anyone done this conversion?
If you do decide you'd like a GS swingarm, I have one for sale, here in Phx.

More
11 Apr 2007 22:12 #129105 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Anyone done this conversion?
A 130 tire on a WM-6 rim will fit. Once you get to the 140 though, tire selection will figure into the equation. Depending on the profile, some will BARELY fit but most won't without some work on the tire. It's close. I've seen some guys start bike up, put it in gear and run a file on chain side of tire til it's taken enough rubber off edge of tread to clear. Some tire manufacturers give the full tread width so you can measure the available space to see if it will fit before you buy it...takes some research. Good luck. Probably wouldn't be able to see that much difference between a 140 and a 130...a 130 would be a lot less headache.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110