anyone have a cross reference manual, looking for an alternative front brake

More
09 Apr 2007 14:21 #128150 by beekay
hey there,
I have been looking for about 5 months now for a front brake for my 1978 Kz200 A1 with no luck. it is a mechanical brake, and cannot find it at any junk yards anywhere, called dozens around the country etc.

Soo, I am looking for an alternative. the brake is on the front of the fork on the left side, single rotor.

I am looking for an option in the cross reference manual to see if there is another model bike to look at. Kz250 uses a front drum as do some of the others in this size class. I tried a kz400 rotor and it's bolt pattern did not jive with my forks (need 2.5inches apart at center). i can go hydraulic, if anyone has ideas.

any bits are appreciated!
bk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2007 14:46 #128160 by Link14
Just checked the kawasaki website and your front disk (part # 41080-013) is shown to be used on only two other models: 1978 KZ200A1A and the 1979 KZ200A2.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

More
09 Apr 2007 15:24 #128172 by KaZooCruiser
Maybe it's time to look at swapping over the entire front end from a hydralic-based system.

Steering stem, triple tree, forks (for the caliper mounting issues) caliper, rotor, wheel and tire.

I think if the steering head bearings are interchangeable, that would give you a clue as to whether this might work for you.

Sounds like you might have an orphan project otherwise.

If you are on good terms with any of the bike salvage yards in your area, they might let you measure bike parts in their yard, to find what you need.

If it fits, it doesn't have to say "Kawasaki" on it.
The bearings in the triple tree have a "must have" outside diameter. The stem will have a similar "must have" diameter.

I can see you getting an entire setup for less than what you are spending in time value.

More
09 Apr 2007 15:51 #128185 by beekay
link14, thanks, i appreciate it.
KaZooCruiser, i think that is the more painful, but more likely direction for me. i have been walking around the local bike graveyard with similar thoughts in mind (kawa is best, but yama is ok too!)

glad to get some alternative options.

One thought was to get a kz250 front wheel (with drum brake setup) and see if it works. they share many parts, aside from this freakin brake! or, i can spend about $300 for an OEM front brake from bike bandit.... ah yes, welcome to old bike building:side:

thanks again guys! much appreciated

bk

More
10 Apr 2007 03:24 #128394 by FloridaBiker

glad to get some alternative options.

It doesn't have to be that hard.

Walk through a cycle junkyard.

Find a hydraulic caliper that fits your forks with the same mounting bolt spacing
-OR -
fabricate a bracket for putting the best fit caliper you can find onto your forks.
The rest of the hydraulics (master cylinder and hoses) will be simple.

I am always putting other brand calipers on bikes I am building.

More
10 Apr 2007 05:12 #128413 by indykaw77
beekay wrote:

or, i can spend about $300 for an OEM front brake from bike bandit.... ah yes, welcome to old bike building:side:

thanks again guys! much appreciated

bk

Now ya know why they are called bike BANDIT!!!!:pinch:

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
10 Apr 2007 10:05 #128515 by beekay
Replied by beekay on topic exactly! bandits........
got some work to do, still. luckily its a "project"
:sick:

More
10 Apr 2007 11:22 #128542 by beekay

More
10 Apr 2007 11:22 #128543 by beekay