Spiffy Italian mag for KZ ???

More
06 Jan 2010 10:33 #342013 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Spiffy Italian mag for KZ ???
The set that is on my Street Tracker came on that bike when I bought it. I originally bought the stripped down bike(for about $75)for parts (I needed a few things for a customers bike), and it was titled and I had another engine. I knew about the mags and their "rarity", so I would have gone higher to get the bike ,just for the wheels.

The other set I sold a few years ago and I think they sold for about $600-800(set). The problem that I have found with these wheels is not too many people are aware of them or know much about them (I start to sound like a used car salesman with their typical sales pitch "Rare Pentagram wheels").

Finding a "working" rear wheel will probably be pretty hard. These wheels converted the rear drum brake to disc brake(like the Shelby) and a rear wheel only (with out the COMPLETE brake system) is pretty much useless with out a fair amount of fabrication to change it over to disc brake. I think that maybe alot of the people who bought these wheels found out that changing it over to disc brake (especially finding an effective place to mount the rear master cylinder) may have been beyond their capabilities and just left the rear wheel off.

What I have found out with some of this kind of "RARE" stuff, is that "RARE" doesn't always translate in to big bucks when you go to sell it. While your front wheel is a "rare" part (from what I know about them), it is also, pretty much a "useless" part to most people, unless they have a complete rear wheel assembly to match.

Personally, I would pull the wheel off and sell it seperately and find a matching spoked rim for the front. Spoked wheels on a bike will look better than mis-matched wheels, anyday.

Fish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2010 05:09 #342070 by z19OO
Replied by z19OO on topic Spiffy Italian mag for KZ ???
Good score on the bike! I guess it would be worth it to remove the mag but I have nothing to replace it with if i'm going to sell the bike whole. Being your an xs650 owner, would you think $850 for the whole bike a fair price? It will probably need a full going over but has a title.

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

More
07 Jan 2010 06:47 #342082 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Spiffy Italian mag for KZ ???
I don't know what a fair price would be.
The economy sucks, it's off-season, and trying to sell a bike with mis-matched wheels won't help its final value at all.
I'd pull the front wheel and get a spoked wheel to replace it with. The later 650's had a steel spoke wheel that can usually be bought pretty cheaply (less than the earlier, more desirable alloy spoked wheel- like your rear wheel) and would look "less" mis-matched than what you have now. I would imagine that with matching early alloy wheels, the complete bike would be worth more than the mismatched wheels it has on it now.
I'd sell the pentagram wheel separately. There's no guarantee that you will get big bucks for it, but all you need is 2 people with a rear wheel looking for a matching front. The front wheels are usually the first thing to get damaged in an accident.