Widening alloy swingarm?

More
06 Apr 2007 16:06 #127159 by Fossil
Widening alloy swingarm? was created by Fossil
I need at least a few mm more width on the driveside of my swingarm just to centre a ZX9 wheel. If I could widen it just 1/4" overall it would make things a lot easier for both centering and mounting the caliper bracket. I spread a steel swingarm about 3/8" using a car jack, wondering if the alloy arm will spread 1/4" before cracking if pressure is applied/increased a little over a few days? I've seen a number of aluminum frames bent but not cracked at the wreckers, got me thinking.
Any ideas, suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 17:32 #127174 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Widening alloy swingarm?
it would be really hard to keep things square without cracking it unless you were to heat it up a little,but that might weaken it also depending on what kind of aluminum it is.got a picture of the swingarm?;)

More
06 Apr 2007 17:41 #127176 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Widening alloy swingarm?
wireman wrote:

it would be really hard to keep things square without cracking it unless you were to heat it up a little,but that might weaken it also depending on what kind of aluminum it is.got a picture of the swingarm?;)

The hub been machined as much as possible, so the only option now is to open up the swingarm a bit. Machining a few mm off the eccentric and trimming the swingarm would do it but I really don't want to remove material there, it would be removing a bit from the welded joint.
Here's the only pic I have showing the swingarm.
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2007 17:41 #127177 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Widening alloy swingarm?
Hey Fossil - If I were you I would take the swingarm to a good machine shop that works with specialty metals. They will tell you if it can be done without causing any stress cracks.

It doesn't cost anything to get an estimate and they might even give you some ideas on how to do it yourself. When it comes to an expensive part like a swingarm, I wouldn't take a chance on breaking it through experimentation.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 18:50 #127192 by wireman
do you have enough clearance everywhere besides the adjuster,or does the whole side need to be moved out?if you had access to a good heli arc and a welding table where you could clamp things down nice and square without moving it could be mitre cut in a couple spots and bent like a box ofset in a piece of conduit and welded back together i suppose;)

More
07 Apr 2007 21:25 #127577 by Fossil
Fossil wrote:

I need at least a few mm more width on the driveside of my swingarm just to centre a ZX9 wheel. If I could widen it just 1/4" overall it would make things a lot easier for both centering and mounting the caliper bracket. I spread a steel swingarm about 3/8" using a car jack, wondering if the alloy arm will spread 1/4" before cracking if pressure is applied/increased a little over a few days? I've seen a number of aluminum frames bent but not cracked at the wreckers, got me thinking.
Any ideas, suggestions?

Problem solved - just bought a brand new ZZR1200 swingarm with axle, adjusters, pivot bolt and chain guard for $143 shipped - a "buy it now" on ebay. And, it's in Canada too so I might see it this week.

More
07 Apr 2007 21:28 #127578 by Fossil
pic and dimensions - very close to the GPz, similar linkage and wide enough for the 5.5" ZX9 wheel and 170 tire.
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 22:02 #127593 by wireman
cool,thats cheaper than modifying your stock one!;)