tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY

More
05 Apr 2007 11:15 #126734 by 76LTD
tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY was created by 76LTD
A big SAFETY thanks to the forum. I am replacing the tires on my 900 LTD. I thought it came with tubes, but the back tire has no tube and front has a tube. I checked the kawasaki parts page and it shows tubes in both. Checked the forum, and found an old link showing the difference between rims for tubed and tubeless tires. My rims are definitely the type that need tubes. I think I will play it safe and put tubes in both.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 13:28 #126774 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
should be marked on rims;)

More
05 Apr 2007 16:50 #126839 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
OK now I am confused. I started this post this morning at work. When I got home I took a close look at the wheels. The rear turns out to actually be built for tubeless tires. The front looks like a tube type rim. I believe they are the original Morris Mags. They do have the circle with the M inside cast in close to the valve stem hole. I really looked for any other markings. The front has a K cast in one spot. It also has the characters 7D6 stamped in the hub area. The rear has the characters 18C6 stamped in the hub area. I guess I will keep them the way they were. Tube in front and tubeless in the rear.

More
05 Apr 2007 17:50 #126859 by steell
Replied by steell on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
Sounds like you found the pics I posted showing the difference between tubeless and tube type wheels :)

The Morris Mags for the 750 twins have TL cast on one of the spokes, but if you have the tires off it's real easy to tell if they are tubeless wheels or not, just compare them to the pics I posted.

KD9JUR

More
05 Apr 2007 20:37 #126914 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
I don't know the markings, but I know for sure 1976 KZ900LTD was tube type wheels front and rear. When you removed your old rear tire did you have to use special tools? (at the least a large C-clamp to break the tire loose of the rim bead). If so, most likely, but not 100% certainty it's a tubeless type rim.
If you were able to break the bead loose by any manual means (stepping on tire, beating with a mallet ect.) than the wheel is a tube-type wheel with 100% certainty.
I think, but not sure that all Morris mags were tube type. No motorcycle in 1976 used tubeless wheels, the 1979 KZ1000ST was the first Kawasaki.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Apr 2007 04:55 #126965 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
Kawasaki KZ900-B1:LTD Motorcycle Shop Manual Supplement, Part No. 99995-272-01, First Issue, printed January 1976, by Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., covers maintenance and repair procedures unique to the LTD model. The KZ900 LTD Shop Manual Supplement is designed to be used in conjunction with the KZ900 Shop Manual, Part No. 99997-700-05.

The LTD manual supplement says under paragraph heading "TUBE, TIRE" the following: Removal and installation of the tires and tubes is basically the same as for the standard model . . . noting the following: 1. Bead protectors are not used with the one piece wheels . . . 3. The rear wheel is of a special design intended to help retain the tire on the wheel in the event of a puncture while riding. The design can make it more difficult to separate the tire bead from the rim. A service tool is available from Kawasaki Parts Department to facilitate this operation.

Thereafter, under the topic MAINTENANCE, the LTD manual says under sub-topic WHEELS, The wheels are of one-piece, cast aluminum construction. The design eliminates conventional wire spokes for simplicity and maintenance operation . . . The rear wheel is of a special design. The rim area is shaped so that the tire will tend to stay on the wheel, even with a loss of air pressure.

The above FYI :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
06 Apr 2007 08:26 #127016 by steell

I think, but not sure that all Morris mags were tube type. No motorcycle in 1976 used tubeless wheels, the 1979 KZ1000ST was the first Kawasaki.

I can assure you that the Dealer installed Morris Mags option for the KZ750B were tubeless type, I have a set sitting beside me right now waiting for me to install the new tires on them, and it's the second set I have had. They are marked "TL" on one of the spokes.
I don't know what year they were first available, but I do know they were available on the 1979 KZ750B4.

2.15"x19" front and 3.00"x16" rear.

Here is a pic of the front Morris Mag hub on the 750 twins, does the KZ900 hub have the aluminum bearing adapter you can see in the pic??

I don't know anything about the KZ900 Morris Mags though.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/06 11:55

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2007 08:52 #127025 by steell
Here are a couple of pics of a NOS (little dusty though) front wheel from the 750B Morris Mag kit. In one you can see the bead lock ridges on the inside of the rim, and on the other you can see why it needs adapters to bolt it up.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/06 11:54

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2007 09:07 #127030 by steell
Here is a pic of the spoke that has the info cast into it.

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2007 09:14 #127037 by steell
And a pic of the instructions showing the adapters. I think these instructions are pretty rare, I have never seen them anywhere before.

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2007 09:29 #127043 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic tube Vs tubeless rim SAFETY
Thanks for all the info guys. Yes, the rear was a bear to remove. Special tools to break the beed included a C-clamp and then a hack saw. The old tire wasn't worth keeping and cutting the tire through the beed that does break loose seems to make it easier to get the other beed broken. Even then it took the C-clamp for the second side. I mounted up the new skins last night. Now I am second guessing myself. I may dismount the rear and install a tube. Safety first.