KZ650 Back End Q's

More
03 Apr 2007 14:15 #126213 by SenorPedro
KZ650 Back End Q's was created by SenorPedro
Hey Guys,

I have dug around for some time in the archives and come across some information that is helpful to me, however, I need some more specifics.

I have a '78 KZ650B that I am in the midst of a "running" restoration on. Basically, I am getting it back into shape and doing a few things to help it perform a little better than before.

One of these things was upgrading the wheels and tires, as the original spokers were very crusty and corroded and the tires shot. I, in my haste, purchased a set of basically new 750 LTD wheels on eBay and got some Bridgestone Battlax tires mounted and ready to go. While digging around I found that the axle is larger on the 750 rear wheel - not by much, but it is larger. The 750 axle is 20mm, while the rear mounts on the swingarm open to 17.2mm or so.

I have read that a 750 swingarm may work on my bike, or that it is possible to replace bearings, etc. What has anyone else done? Are the swingarms dimensionally the same - at the pivot width? I was thinking to possibly have the dropouts of the swingarm machined larger?

I have all of the parts to both wheels; cush, drum brake assy., axle, spacers, etc.

I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

-Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2007 05:06 #126346 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ650 Back End Q's
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember someone saying to change the bearings to fit the axle, seems like this topic came up recently

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Apr 2007 19:06 #126531 by SenorPedro
Replied by SenorPedro on topic KZ650 Back End Q's
I had read about the possibility of that option in the archives, however, there weren't any real specifics on what may or may not work.

I will try and pull off the stock rear wheel this weekend and see what can be swapped back and forth. I know the drum brake assy will not be able to be swapped over, and its quite possible that the bearing seat diameters are different sizes.

Any suggestions on the removal of bearings?