Steering head sticker with VIN#

More
26 Mar 2007 17:25 #123723 by harm
Steering head sticker with VIN# was created by harm
Is there anyone who makes new steering stem stickers? I know this sounds kind of crazy because it contains the bikes VIN #'s. Is it a big deal if it is gone or is it only important to the most detailed bike restoring person?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2007 20:19 #123787 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
yeah ive wondered about that also,shouldnt be that hard to do im pretty sure the build date and vin are typed in afterwards;)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
26 Mar 2007 20:23 #123791 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
This is a question that has popped up several times by folks who have had their frames powder-coated and wanted a replacement VIN label, but I don't recall if anyone ever gave a definative answer if it's do-able or not. :S

I'd imagine the best place to check would be through Kawi (KHI or KMI) directly to see if they can "re-create" another VIN label.
I'm sure they're going to want either the old VIN label to verify all the info, and/or at least a current valid registration card for proof.
They'll probably also want a photo-copy of some type of legal document (birth certificate, drivers license or state issued I.D. card) that says you are who you claim to be, which will certainly need to match the name listed on the regsitration.

FWIW, a few years ago a friend of mine swapped a newer 350 V-8 into his '76 Toyota Land Cruiser, and had to go to a state licensed DMV referee station to have the swap verified and approved (safety stuff like parking brake, etc) before he could get it re-registered.
Anyway, once the referee checked over the vehicle and approved everything, he (the referee) riveted a shiney NEW VIN plate to the firewall with the updated VIN # and other pertinent info.
So check with your local motor vehicles office to see if they might be able to help, or at least guide you to someone who can. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2007 20:34 #123798 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
if you can peel off your old one without destroying it id take it to some place that does printing to make a generic copy and then type your info on to it.its not an oficial form of i.d for bike,the serial number stamped into frame is the oficial vin; it just makes it easier to see ;)

More
26 Mar 2007 22:24 #123838 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
I was wondering too, I don't have one at all! It has never had one since I owned it. So far no one has hassled me but I always cringe when I have to get it inspected. The only sticker I have is under the tank it says genuine kawasaki replacement frame. The engine numbers don't match either. YaY
I did run the engine through NCIC and nobody is missing it at least.

Ron

More
27 Mar 2007 05:33 #123869 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
I own a business that makes decals like this.

What is the market potential?
I doubt if I could sell 20 a year.

Since each one would have a unique number it would be hard to produce for less than $50 each, possibly as much as $100.

That is not practical for the buyer, I think.

The legal issues seem solvable, with proper validation of ownership.

More
27 Mar 2007 05:34 #123870 by FloridaBiker

Since each one would have a unique number it would be hard to produce for less than $50 each, possibly as much as $100.

More
27 Mar 2007 05:35 #123871 by FloridaBiker

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
27 Mar 2007 06:01 #123874 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
The VIN is stamped on the frame. You're talking about the DOT compliance label. It's a big problem if it's missing on a bike without a title in GA because the state will not register the bike without a form, signed by an official inspector, stating that the label is present.

If your state allows custom built, its likely gonna be easier to collect all your receipts and progress photos and get a new VIN.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2007/03/27 09:02

More
27 Mar 2007 20:10 #124155 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
i find it hard to beleive that with todays computer technology, paper, and a geek squad that someone isn't able to print them babies out. OF COURSE with proper proof of ownership and VIN. I'd pay 50/100 for an excellent copy. After all the security of the White House can be breached and a simple label can't? Phoney documentation is rampent in all walks of life. This should be easy for someone with a little knowledge of printing and access to certain paper stock.
Just my 2 cents I am no printer!!!
Nor do I have computer savy!
They make the old muscle car shipping invoices, window stickers. I have personally purchased them.
I bet theres more money to be made than what one thinks!
SOMEONE let me know when the presses get fired up!

More
27 Mar 2007 21:30 #124183 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Steering head sticker with VIN#
Does anyone have a good quality picture of the label? Please PM me if you'd be willing to email me a picture. I have never seen what the label would look like for my bike but I'm game to try and make one myself.

Ron