front end swap

More
26 Mar 2007 14:20 #123677 by shaftie1100
front end swap was created by shaftie1100
Hey KZ'ers,

I'm looking at doing a front end swap... I just picked up a Hayabussa complete front end. It has the triples, clip-ons, USD fork, calipers, wheel, mud guard, and all controls...

I know several of you have already done something similar, what are the ups and downs? Anything I should be wary of?

I already know that I'll need to get the stem from my 1100 pressed into the bottom triple of the Busa... Anything else difficult?

Oh yeah... what to do about the speedo? Should I just buy a small electric speedo? The busa doesn't use a mechanical like my gauge cluster...

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2007 16:58 #123716 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic front end swap
The forks are going to be REALLY short compared to your 1100's. Ground clearence will be a major concern. Your best bet is to get an electric speedo and mount it on the upper triple or make a bracket if you really feel motivated. The 'Busa forks mount the same as the SRAD, TL and most other Suzuki forks. Do a search, its all been done before.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
26 Mar 2007 17:48 #123729 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic front end swap
It will drop your front end about 3", but the trail will not be reduced as much as it would be shortening the stock front end because there is far less offset in the Busa forks. You will also find you have reduce steering lock ( larger turning radius) due to the forks being wider, fatter upper tubes and the less offset mentioned. Ground clearance is only an issue with mine because the header sits so low.
The 1100 stem is not a press fit, it will need to be built up with weld and machined to match the Suzuki stem. A bushing will also need to be made up to fit the 1100 stem to the upper triple clamp.
Advantages will obviously be much improved suspension, better braking, less weight both sprung and unsprung, and greater choice of performance tires.
I bought an electronic speedo.

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/03/26 20:49

More
27 Mar 2007 23:50 #124206 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic front end swap
Fossil wrote:

The 1100 stem is not a press fit, it will need to be built up with weld and machined to match the Suzuki stem. A bushing will also need to be made up to fit the 1100 stem to the upper triple clamp.
<br><br>Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/03/26 20:49

that is one way of doing it. but to cut a lot of time and cost at the macjine shop i just had a hat bushing that would fit the new triples i used.

fist i pressed my stock stem into the hat bushing i had mad to fit the new tripples and tiged it up. next i pressed the pressed the stem and bushing as one into the bottom tripple and then tig welded it up.

heres how it turned out... and a link with a lil more info on what i had to do. hope it helps
Link

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/28 09:09
Attachments: