shock disassembly

More
25 Mar 2007 17:52 #123417 by brawnyrebel
shock disassembly was created by brawnyrebel
Is there any shade tree mechanic trict to compressing the spring to remove the clip? I'm looking for a quick way to get mine apart to paint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2007 18:35 #123430 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic shock disassembly
here's two options:

m/c tie down straps:

4" hose clamps:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/25 22:48

More
25 Mar 2007 18:45 #123437 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic shock disassembly
Turn the tension adjuster to the lowest setting. Look for a suitable pry point (work bench, block screwed to a wall stud, etc.) Find an old 2x2 or 2x4, take a forstner bit or standard wood spade bit, drill a partial hole large enough for the shock eye to prevent slipping. Stand shock up, place on suitable material to prevent scratching it, pry down, slip off the retaining clip. Voila! Hope this helps. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
25 Mar 2007 18:55 #123440 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic shock disassembly
duncan wrote:

m/c tie down straps:

4" hose clamps:

I imagine the tie downs would be a wee bit "fiddly" come time to release them......:pinch:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/25 22:49

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
25 Mar 2007 19:22 #123452 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic shock disassembly
indykaw77 wrote:

duncan wrote:

m/c tie down straps:

4" hose clamps:

I imagine the tie downs would be a wee bit "fiddly" come time to release them......:pinch:

Wear gloves, be cautious, use two (2) ratchet straps so you get balanced compression. The spring only needs to smoosh (technical term) an inch or so usually. There are spring compressors made for motorcycle shock springs and the ones made for modern struts look like they could work too. I recently rebuilt some Koni shocks and went through all this...and used ratchet straps without any death or permanent maiming. ;)

Use a stout, longish bolt and nut with some heavy washers in the lower shock eye to give you a good hook up point that won't slip the hook. :)

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2007/03/25 22:24

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/25 22:50

More
25 Mar 2007 19:27 #123454 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic shock disassembly
indykaw77 wrote:

the tie downs 'are' a wee bit fiddly, but fortunately the motorcycle spring isn't that strong. haven't lost an eye yet :whistle: :P ;)