help with a spring and shock setup..

More
19 Mar 2007 17:40 #121699 by badboie
help with a spring and shock setup.. was created by badboie
hey I did a quick search and I know my answer might be farther in the data base but I'm not a patient person by nature at all :whistle: lol. Anywho, I was wondering, because I have decided to keep my swingarm for a while till I decide to (later down the road) to do a swingarm swap. So what shock/spring setup have some of you guys used with our stock swingarm? I really dont think it matters much between the years and model but I have a 1981 KZ750 LTD. One thing I'm looking at doing is possibly giving the bike a more aggressive stance by lifting the rear. Any help would be great. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Mar 2007 19:17 #121740 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic help with a spring and shock setup..
Check on eBay.
HD Sporty shocks in varrying lengths (11"~13.5") are listed there everyday for an average of about $20 a pair + shipping. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Mar 2007 21:09 #121779 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic help with a spring and shock setup..
hey thanks. Also one more question.. I was wondering what the diameter of the shock springs are because if I can find some progressive shocks what messure the same then i guess I have it made, right? I've been on ebay loking at progressive shocks and i have foiund a crap load of them and I like a few. Dont know though. I dont want to bid blindly. They all look like they would work but I might just be looking at them and not actually looking at them... know what I mean? lol:silly: :P

More
20 Mar 2007 19:36 #122093 by badboie
bump... just lookin for some ideas or something. thanks

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 Mar 2007 19:48 #122097 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic help with a spring and shock setup..
Spring diameter isn't always indicative of what they're rated at.
I've got a set of Magna (Shhhh! :P) shocks on my ZN700 that have noticeably thicker and larger diameter springs than the springs on my KZ650's shocks, yet the 650's shocks (which are the same length as the Magna shocks) give a considerably stiffer ride.
I tried both sets on my ZN before deciding to go "plush" with the Magna shocks. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Mar 2007 04:51 #122457 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic help with a spring and shock setup..
I went with the Sportster shocks because, like you, I plan on doing a swingarm swap sometime down the road. The ones I ended up with measured 13.25" eye to eye, but when I got them I realized they measured that much while sitting at the middle detent on the adjustment. So they might actually measure closer to 14" if I extend them to the top setting (there's only three adjustments on the Sportster shocks).
Tell ya what though, those Sportster shocks do make the bike handle MUCH better than the old thirty YO stockers did. Took it down the highway yesterday to see how she feels at speed. GREAT! Wrapped out at ten grand in fifth gear, there was nary a wobble to be felt. Solid steady smooth. I hit a bump that at that speed, would have had my old Honda wiggling like a spring break teenybopper.
The chrome on the Sportster shocks isn't as nice as on Progressive's shocks, but they still look decent.
Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2007 16:16 #122903 by badboie
hey thanks for the input. I Like your bike, its put together nice. Well, guess what... this guy I have been running ideas with for my bike happened to run across a monoshock swingarm so I might just be doing the conversion sooner then I thought. He ownes a bike shop, works on bikes nd builds custom bikes like you see on Thoes TV showes like O.C.C and biker build off. Only he is into more of the streetbike/sportbike/chopper mix then just straight chopper. these bikes he makes are pretty bad ass :evil:. Anywho, back on track. So, if it all works out and he pickes up that swingarm then I'm doing the conversion. if not then I'm going the way I was thinking. I will be keeping everyone up-to-date with my bike... its going to be compleatly custom. Custom swingarm conversion, custom seat, custom, rear fairing, custom exhaust.... so on and so forth. haha:evil: :woohoo: :side: B) lata!

oh (post script): I'll post some pictures of my progress as I go haha, I know you all like that as well.