Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!

More
16 Mar 2007 07:36 #120666 by caffcruiser
So I got some adapters for the bike I'm still working on. These are 3 birds with one stone.... adapts the mounting of the rotor to the proper bolt pattern for a Triumph... allows use of 320mm rotor and will give the correct spacing to put the offset right with a GSXR600 fork.

(I sometimes think I shoulda skipped all this and just run the stock GSXR wheels.... but what the hell, right?:))

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2007 07:38 #120667 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!
Here's the adapters...

More
16 Mar 2007 07:40 #120668 by caffcruiser
Here's the hubs.... as you can see they are overbored to accept GSXR bearings (and axle :))

More
16 Mar 2007 07:43 #120670 by caffcruiser
Here they are together.

More
16 Mar 2007 07:56 #120676 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!
Cool!!

Cant wait to see the finished project.

I've been doing the same thing with Yamahas. They are easier because the Yamaha sport bike rotors have the same bolt hole spacing as the XS 650's. I still need to space them out and make the caliper mounting brackets for the kits I sell.

Fish

Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2007 07:57 #120680 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!
caffcruiser wrote:

(I sometimes think I shoulda skipped all this and just run the stock GSXR wheels.... but what the hell, right?:))

you don't compromise on what you want. you would have ran the gixxer wheels if you had wanted to.

i can't wait to see this thing coming together.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
16 Mar 2007 08:00 #120682 by caffcruiser
Lookin good Fish.

What's the diameter of those discs?

I had to make a choice....

I could have gotten blank 320mm floaters sent to me from Spiegler or EBC with NO bolt holes yet and machined them, but I would have had to run spacers for the offset anyhow since the hub on the KZ is so much skinnier than the axle housing of tge GSXR's wheels.

The other option was to just make some brackets for the GSXR's forks to move the rotors in and mount custom drilled floaters... which is plan B if this option turns out to not be all I am hoping for.

I chose to just adapt the bolt pattern since either way means doing SOME form of machining, and possible running a 1lb chunk of alu. on each side of the hub (because if it weren't adapters, it would be big solid spacers instead.)

Solomrus, you have hit the nail on the head. :)

I kinda figured that there's a lot of KZ's running around with the fork conversions, but I don't see a lot with the spokers on 17's with 320's.

I decided to use them as a challenge, and because I aesthetically prefer the spokers.

(Though I do plan to have some Gixxer wheels and stuff that are complete as a backup set/track set)

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/03/16 11:02

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 08:25 #120689 by wireman
spokes rule!:evil:

More
16 Mar 2007 21:53 #120928 by Fossil
That's going to look great with the wire wheels. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to have a bit more machining done on the adapters, maybe hollow them out a bit to reduce weight?
Did you see the post I put up for you a while back about the Streetfighters magazine project - cramming a GSXR750 into a Z750 frame?

More
17 Mar 2007 00:12 #120944 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!
Looks cool. I'm going to do something like that too, I want the ZX7 brakes that go with my front end and the 18" Z1R front wheel I'm using.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
17 Mar 2007 06:02 #120960 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Custom machined hub/rotor adapters. WITH PICS!
Thanks,
They are 320 mm discs.
I think using readily available parts is the way to go with this type of thing. Getting custom made discs is only expensive when they are made and when they are replaced from wear/damage.
I would build the wheel next to be sure that you have the clearance for the inner pistons of the caliper piston. All of my Yamaha spoked wheel conversions use twin piston calipers(outer pistons only) for clearance of the spokes (stock fork, wheel, sometimes stock discs, sometimes other discs).
I usually have to make spacers (about 10mm) for the discs to get the clearance for the inner pistons and mag wheels. It looks like your spacers may have enough clearance, but I would get the wheel built next to be sure.
Are you doing the same thing for the rear wheel?
Heres a 6 piston 320 mm on another Yamaha.

A link to other Yamaha brakes and stuff that I've done.

www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/XS650Page.html

Fish

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/03/17 09:02
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2007 07:26 #120983 by caffcruiser
Fossil wrote:

That's going to look great with the wire wheels. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to have a bit more machining done on the adapters, maybe hollow them out a bit to reduce weight?
Did you see the post I put up for you a while back about the Streetfighters magazine project - cramming a GSXR750 into a Z750 frame?

You know, I missed that post.

Please do relink into this thread, cause I'd love to see that. It could be helpful. I'd mocked mine up and it's pretty straight forward, but it would be cool to see if my idea on the rear mount will be the same.

I thought about further machining them too, partially for weight, and partially to guarantee clearance.

The outer edge of the adapters could definitely be beveled for that. I wish I could shave them thinner too, but that would kill the whole point of the offset correction.

I think I'll keep them as is for now, and then have my machinist whip up another set for me soon with a bevel on them just to see how they look. These might actually not look at all out of place because the mounting face of the rotor is bigger than the diameter of the adapters.... so they *should* look just like a wide 1 piece hub when it's all together. We'll see.

FISH:

I thought they were 320s... that rules. They just seemed small, but it is likely just that they are mounted to a bigger wheel.

I agree that readily available parts are the way to go. The custom made stuff wouldn't have been expensive per se (I would have paid the same for custom stuff as I'm paying for the EBC 320mm full floating race rotors I'm using by buying them through work for $149.00 a rotor), but the problem was the offset.

With the width of the hub being so small a guy would need a 5mm thick rotor with a 35mm offset! There's no one that MAKES a 35mm offset rotor, so you gotta go this route.

MARK:

Let me know when you need some. My machinist rules. 2 rotors including materials, shipped PLUS two steel mounts for my swingarm for $110.00.

WIREMAN:

Of COURSE wires rule! :evil: