Wheel bearing or brake making noise??

More
15 Mar 2007 11:56 #120426 by patmann
Wheel bearing or brake making noise?? was created by patmann
Hi guys,
It's been awhile but I'm b-a-c-k...
Anyway, I took the bike out yesterday and noticed a high pitched ( at times ) noise from the front wheel. It doesn't do it all the time, only about 50%- 80% of the time.
I took it home roughed up the disc with some emory paper, did the same to the pads. No difference.
Changed pads and sanded these, since I had another set laying around. Ran the light sandpaper over both sides of the disc then sprayed it down with brake cleaner. Same dang thing.:dry:
The front brakes do squeal when I stop, but it's not the same noise. It almost sounds like something is rubbing, but then that noise stops and it changes pitch or goes away for awhile.
I have used the front brake while standing up and having my head down in front of the speedo and the headlight ( not real smart I know ) to see if that does anything and it doesn't seem to change it either.
The bearing surface doesn't seem to be overly warm to touch.
I have EARLY Morris six bolt mags on it, so I'll have to drive the bearing out ( Lord I hope they come out ) to have them matched up ( I hope ).
So IF I don't have to I don't want to go that route,yet.
Any ideas ?? Or am I just in denial
:unsure:
I'm 99.99% sure it's just the left front that I'm hearing it from. Brake?? Wheel bearing?? Speedo drive/ cable??
Thanks , Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/03/15 16:29

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2007 12:16 #120428 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Wheel bearing or brake making noise??
Try disconnecting your speedo cable from the drive unit. That might let you know it's the cable. Or drive.
You can lube up the cable core with chassis grease while it's off if that's the issue. Cable core will fall out if you don't secure it while running though.

You could take the front calipers off, if you are a daredevil, and see it the noise is still there while riding. Course, you'd need a safe place to do that with no front brakes to help stop you.

Bearings are pretty cheap, compared to medical bills, if they fail. You have an old bike. Lubrication in 33 year-old-bearings is probably non-existant. Piece of mind is priceless.

:whistle:

More
26 Mar 2007 07:04 #123592 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Wheel bearing or brake making noise??
It's the dang speedo:blink:
My 82 year old father has been in the hospital for the last week, so I haven't had much time to play with toys.
Anyway, I had a couple of "free" minutes Saturday. So I took it for a ride to check into it somemore. This time I didn't wear a helmet ( you sure can hear better without it ) It sounded like it was coming from the speedo.. I felt the speedo and could feel it vibrating. So I unhooked the speedo cable at the speedo and no noise/ vibration at all. I oiled the heck out of the cable at least three times and let it set until Sunday. Hooked it back up. Same dang thing:S
I guess it's time to learn about the workings of a 33 year old speedo now. I figure take it off, of course take the cover off and look around for something amiss. And get my HO slot car light oil in the syringe out and oil anything that looks like it should need oiling:whistle: They sure can't be too complicated from what little I have seen of them.
Or am I all wrong?? Don't worry about hurting my feelings and telling me to leave it alone or leave it to a pro, I'm married so I'm used to being told I'm wrong;)
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/03/26 10:04

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
27 Mar 2007 11:14 #123984 by patmann
Well unless dripping light oil into the speedo cable hole and then inserting a small screwdriver into the same hole to make sure it goes inside works... I'll be looking for a new speedo:(
I don't feel like pulling it all apart at this time.
I know Wired George has a write up on it, but if at all possible I would prefer not to.
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
27 Mar 2007 19:47 #124139 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic Wheel bearing or brake making noise??
while you have the cable out, ck. the drive ends, as well as the female ends of the drive unit and speedo. and remember this GRAPHITE is the lubricant thats supposed to be used on any cable/casing of this sort. Available at any auto parts store. You may have a problem in the drive unit or actual speedo and not the cable. Also check the cable for even 1 [one] strand of wire thats broken or sharp edge.Soids to me like the cable is SKIPPING in one end or the other.
GOOD LUCK! and KEEP THAT HELMET ON!!!!!

More
28 Mar 2007 13:01 #124355 by patmann
Well.. after I oiled it as I said above, and let it set at least one day ( upside down :silly: ), I put it all back together yesterday and gave it a try...
I put on three miles and not a sound:) Then had to return home to the wife and kids.
Of course that now means something major will happen:pinch: I can't fix something that easy and cheap without something bigger and more costly happening.
I thank both of you for your advise and words of wisdom, Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/03/28 16:26

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike