KZ550 Rear Shocks

More
16 Mar 2007 09:00 #120706 by vipex
Replied by vipex on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
wireman wrote:

do they make adjustable shocks anymore with a remote resevoir you can mount out of way ,or am i just having a bad flashback from the late 70s-80s?:whistle:

(yeah the daughter doctored up the picture:P )

I will assume you are refering to they as works. I dont believe so - for your application and neither does Ohlin - for your application.

Post edited by: vipex, at: 2007/03/16 12:02

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2007 15:01 #120806 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
steell wrote:

apeman wrote:

Well vipex, that might be your opinion, or maybe you are just trying to sell your expensive shocks. While I don't object to you posting your thoughts on the subject, I do object to you not clearly indicating in your post that you are expressing an opinion from a position of economic self interest.

(Speaking as a KZR Mod)
Vipex "can't" say anything about his business in his postings, because if he does then I am required to delete it and send him a PM reminding him of the rules. He does appear to be making an effort to comply, and I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't attempt to goad him into violating the rules.

I am not trying to get get vipex a little pregnant by having him talk about his business in a thread. However, if he is going to opine on shocks (which is his business), then the readers of this site deserve to know that he has an economic self interest which may impact upon the objectivity of his opinions. In my business, that makes him a biased witness, whose testimony is automatically subject to doubt, and the readers here who rely upon this site to provide absolutely straight input from members worldwide are entitled to know that.

It has also been mentioned to me by other kzrider members who have read this thread that this whole dialog between vipex and kZskip smells a little fishy, with this newbie throwing up softball questions and fauning praise in the direction of vipex. I don't know if it is all just a ruse to do some non-contraband pseudo advertising or not. I leave that up to the other members here to decide.

In the end, this point is not about shocks, but is about the integrity of the information on this site. That is a topic which, in the many years I have been a member here, has always been a priority. It must remain so.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
16 Mar 2007 19:10 #120860 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
apeman wrote:

I am not trying to get get vipex a little pregnant by having him talk about his business in a thread. However, if he is going to opine on shocks (which is his business), then the readers of this site deserve to know that he has an economic self interest which may impact upon the objectivity of his opinions. In my business, that makes him a biased witness, whose testimony is automatically subject to doubt, and the readers here who rely upon this site to provide absolutely straight input from members worldwide are entitled to know that.

This isn't a trial, and any member is entitled to express an opinion, and every member is entitled to accept it, ignore it, or disagree with it. The rules state that if you are associated with a business, then you are not allowed to refer to it in any post, it's up to the Mods to decide if a post violates the rules, and sometimes we let things slide (if we feel the post was beneficial). So far, I have not seen Vipex post anything in this thread that I disagree with.
As far as trusting "any" info on this site to be absolutely straight, you have got to be kidding. I'll quote from the "Rules" thread at the top of every KZR Tech Forum:

(7) Information provided in the Tech Forums is provided at no cost and
no guarantee that it is correct, so evaluate it and make your own
decision, you are responsible for anything that you screw up, no one
else. The Moderators are here to enforce civil behavior, "NOT" to ensure technical correctness of every post. It's your rearend on that bike, so evaluate information and don't take for granted that it is correct.

It has also been mentioned to me by other kzrider members who have read this thread that this whole dialog between vipex and kZskip smells a little fishy, with this newbie throwing up softball questions and fauning praise in the direction of vipex. I don't know if it is all just a ruse to do some non-contraband pseudo advertising or not. I leave that up to the other members here to decide.

All I know for sure is that both members have different IP addresses, and are on different ISP's.

I can only suggest that you not be so quick to judge, just give it some time and see where it goes.

Now can we kindly get this thread back on topic?

KD9JUR

More
16 Mar 2007 19:59 #120879 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
Do you Koni?

Alright then Ikon...:)

I'm a user and a fan, but not a seller.

:laugh:

More
16 Mar 2007 21:25 #120916 by vipex
Well I must say this.....there is no boredom or lack of lively posts in this thread. My intent in this thread and forum is to really gather info and offer advice. You have the option to agree,contradict or just plain not bother to read what I type. I believe I am being very truthful in my posts and any advice I offer is not exactly an opinion of my own - if it is tech related there are a group of us (albeit a small one) that offers the info.i am the 'point man' so to speak. That is the way it is in alot of forums out there. Not to sound to corny here but our common thread is our enjoyment with vintage bikes. Lets keep it at that and move forward......Skip I hope you keep us posted on your progress with your KZ550.

Cheers.

More
18 Mar 2007 13:26 #121301 by kZskip
Replied by kZskip on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
Vipex- curious about why you say no progressives on the front end? Everything I read or hear points that way. Secondly- have you an opinion on tire pressure front and back?

More
18 Mar 2007 18:37 #121380 by vipex
kZskip wrote:

Vipex- curious about why you say no progressives on the front end? Everything I read or hear points that way. Secondly- have you an opinion on tire pressure front and back?

Skip,

With respect to tire pressures: I think you could have 5 experienced KZ riders in a room and have 5 very different answers.

Lets try our best here without writing a book. There are a million different tires out there but for bang for your buck its tough to beat pirelli sport demons or the bridgestone battleax BT-45.

Start out using the recommended tire pressure of the tire manufacturer and bump it up 2psi if you use alloy wheels and/or 2up riding to avoid damage -should you hit a bump.

Always measure your pressure cold (before your first ride of the day for example)

Here is your rule of thumb for adjusting your pressures for handling. As you know heat will cause your tire pressure to rise. Ride your bike solo for 20 minutes through a twisty road and once you stop recheck your pressures. If the rear pressure has not risen by more than 20% and the front by 10% you can remove air by one pound increments and repeat your ride until they do. The increased scrubbed surface area is providing the heat to bump up your pressures.

This is a technique for maximum cornering capability.

This is not a great idea for everyday riding because your tires are too soft at the begining of the ride the next day - if you forget to top them up. Its only for track days or spirited riding and remember to top them off before you park it (ie add 2 psi to whatever reading you have at the end of the day) Check them again in the AM. Ya... I know its a pain in the ass but you asked. This is the ritual i do on track days or on days when I push it......

:evil:

More
31 Mar 2007 13:55 #125218 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
kZskip wrote:

. . . I bottom out the rear shocks from time to time.

Inquiring minds want to know; how did this issue resolve itself?

B)

More
31 Mar 2007 15:19 #125234 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic KZ550 Rear Shocks
Wow.... Been gone for a while and come back to.... Ummmm. :ohmy:

So what if vipex sells shocks.. Does that mean he's not allowed to answer or talk about suspension problems??

C'mon.
:blush:

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill