starting a restoration

More
06 Dec 2005 02:58 #11970 by tweakin_82
starting a restoration was created by tweakin_82
First off let me say that i have only been a memmber to this site for a week now, but I already think that it is the most helpfull site that i have ever found, on any subject.

now for my question. I am just getting ready to start restoring my 77 kz200. It is in relativley good condition cosmeticly, but the engine doesn't run so hot. I think that the engine just has a carb problem. any way, where should i start as far as the whole restoration project is concerned. I have never re-done a bike before. I don't know if I should start with the engine or the body. Any suggestions or oppinions would be invaluable. thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2005 03:43 #11975 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic starting a restoration
Just my way of thinking here, but if it was me....I'd get all the mechanicals and electricals up to snuff, THEN do the tear down for the cosmetic touch ups.
If it starts good, runs good, all lights work, no leaking seals, etc. before you tear it down to the frame, theoretically, it should all be fine upon re-assembly, minor adjustments not withstanding.
Of course, your mileage may vary......

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
06 Dec 2005 06:56 #11982 by NormZ
Replied by NormZ on topic starting a restoration
Here is a generic rebuild procedure (good for any KZ). Search this forum for more detail on each specific item.

1) Check valve clearance and adjust if necessary. Do this first as it could affect your compression. While you have the valve cover off, may want to inspect cam chain and cam chain timing.

2) Once valve clearance is in spec, check engine compression. If compression is bad you have a different set of issues and may want to reconsider if you really want to restore the bike or not. The rest of this procedure assumes that your compression is good.

3) If the starter will not turn the engine over then troubleshoot electrical system. Charge battery and/or replace if it will not hold charge.

4) Check out the ignition system. First make sure you have good strong spark on all cylinders. Maybe do wiredgeorge's relay coil feed mod. Replace spark plugs. After getting good spark check ignition timing.

5) If fuel tank is rusty inside, remove and clean it.

6) Check fuel petcock operation. Repair/replace if necessary.

7) Install (or replace) fuel filter. Do this after cleaning the fuel tank and before cleaning the carburator.

8) Remove carburator, dissamble, clean, replace internal o-rings, reassemble & re-install. When cleaning make sure all jets and passages are clear by blowing air through. Replace carb boots if they are hard or cracked.

9) Check fuel level in carb bowls. Adjust if necessary.

10) Check condition of all vacuum lines and caps. Replace any that are hard and/or cracked. (Engine will NOT run well with a vacuum leak!)

11) Start engine! Adjust idle mixture screws and idle speed screw to obtain smooth idle.

12) Sync carbs.

13) Now the engine should be running pretty well. At this point I would change all fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, fork oil) as well as oil filter and air filter. Also a good idea to lube the clutch and throttle cables. You could change fluids as the first step but I recommend waiting until you see if you can get the engine running or not...no sense replacing fluids only to find out the engine is locked up.

14) Now you can start on the chassis. Personally I would just get on & ride for a month or two before beginning any chassis work. Exception would be tires & brakes...make sure tires are good (10 yr old tires need replaced even if tread is good!) and that brakes work well before your first ride. While riding you will likely find that some problems will fix themselves while others will develop.

15) Eventually consider repairing the following chassis items: Replace front fork seals (only needed if they leak assuming you changed the oil in step 13), replace brake pads, adjust clutch, replace rear shocks, repack wheel bearings.

16) After all the above then you can begin polishing, painting, upgrading, etc.

Post edited by: NormZ, at: 2005/12/06 10:32

Post edited by: NormZ, at: 2005/12/06 10:50

More
06 Dec 2005 07:33 #11990 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic starting a restoration
tweakin:
Don't forget to photograph your work. It helps to take lots of pics of the 'before' condition, so you can refer to them when you can't remember how to re-assemble it.
Also, it's cool to compare the 'before' to the 'after' when you're done.
A digital camera is perfect for this, if you have one. It also makes it easy to post pics of your progress for all of us photo hounds.

Keep a folder, and put your receipts for purchases in it. It's easy to do, and can make the bike more valuable if you ever decide to sell it.
Good luck!

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
06 Dec 2005 09:23 #12005 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic starting a restoration
I liked the steps NormZ listed, I saved it to my hard drive.

If I may add something to your list, it would be to check or change the oil before starting the engine for the first time. Especially if you have just picked up a project.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
06 Dec 2005 18:01 #12089 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic starting a restoration
Hey NormZ,
You've got the stuff that an article could be based upon there. Think about writing it up for the articles section.
Good Stuff!
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
06 Dec 2005 18:39 - 03 Dec 2008 19:23 #12096 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 19:23 by JMKZHI.

More
07 Dec 2005 06:11 #12139 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic starting a restoration
Josh, When I read the word "restore" something specific comes to my mind. A restored bike is one that is put back into the condition it rolled off the factory assembly line. What is your goal for the bike? Do you want to make it roadworthy and ride it and perhaps replace parts with newer and better parts or do you want to actually "restore" it? You have already gotten some great ideas and steps for putting the bike on the road. Most folks use their KZs as riders and not as restoration projects so I am guessing this is where you are going. I also suggest you examine EVERY rubber part on the bike and replace it if you can... the intake manifold and airbox connection, rubber caps and hoses, the engine seals, rubber cushion stuff under instruments and rubber frame bits are good canditates for replacement. I do this on every bike I put back into service. You won't leak oil and there will be no air leaks around the carbs and you won't squeek going down the road. Good luck and post a picture record of the project.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Dec 2005 06:21 #12142 by ibsen22000
Replied by ibsen22000 on topic starting a restoration
I don't think he has to worry about balancing carbs. The KZ200 is a single cyclinder.:P

You should check out this website:
hometown.aol.de/z200ig/KZ200_PAGE.html

Here is a few other links that might be helpful:

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5896/#...0that%20Satin%20Look

www.vjmc.org/index.htm

www.totalmotorcycle.com/restoring.htm

www.soundrider.com/archive/MR101/MCR101-...g_Your_Resources.htm

motorcycles.about.com/cs/oldbikerestore/a/restoreabike.htm

204.29.80.50/restore/

Post edited by: ibsen22000, at: 2005/12/07 09:24

More
12 Dec 2005 17:42 #12828 by tweakin_82
Replied by tweakin_82 on topic starting a restoration
As far as my goals for the bike go, i do intend to restore it to factory condition. However, it will still be a daily rider (to and from work is 6 miles round trip). The reason i am doing a full restoration is
A: It's something to do
B: This bike has been in my family since new
C: I plan on getting and restoring an old camaro or chevelle in a year or so, so any practice i can get will hopefull be very helpfull.

Thank you guys for the great suggestions and i will definatley keep pics coming as the project progresses.