steering bearings,,

More
11 Mar 2007 17:27 #119298 by me109g4
steering bearings,, was created by me109g4
ok, i just looked into replacing the steering bearings in my 1980 Kz1000LTD B4, reading the Clymer manual they basicly want me to strip everything off the front of the bike,, headlight, gauges, wiring etc. This seems a little excessive, can i get awaw with just undoing the brake line and wiring at thier fittings, loosening the forks at the top of the tree and removing the top part of the tree off the steering shaft and sliding the whole assembly out the bottom? anybody done this procedure without dismantling the entire front of the bike?? thanks, jeff T Rindge NH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 17:32 #119301 by steell
Replied by steell on topic steering bearings,,
I did it the way you describe, the problem was that I needed about 5 hands to get it back together again.

KD9JUR

More
12 Mar 2007 13:39 #119550 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic steering bearings,,
I did the bearings on a 650, and loosened / removed only what I had to to drop the forks out the bottom. Calipers, tire, tank, tach and speedo cables from gauges. Brake line splitter on bottom tree. Top triple tree with handlebar and gauges still attached. Remove serrated nut and you're done. Bearings bouce everywhere. What fun, slingshot ammo!

:woohoo:

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/03/13 12:16

More
12 Mar 2007 18:26 #119627 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic steering bearings,,
That's the way I did it last time too. After removing the front wheel and forks and supporting your brake calipers somehow, all that's left is to undo your big bolt in the center of the top triple, and move the entire handlebar assm and headlight assm off to one side enough to gain access to where you need to work.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
12 Mar 2007 19:27 #119653 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic steering bearings,,
The more you remove, the easier it is, or that's what SHE said?

Did my steering bearings recently, and removed everything I could. It wasn't very difficult, and I didn't need any help. There wasn't anyone around to help if I did anyways. :whistle:

Do the wheel bearings too.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp