Urgent Advice (re: replacing steering column)

More
11 Mar 2007 10:00 #119222 by primemover
Hi all...

rather then even TRY to fix this bent steering column, i have a lead on he one that "goes" with the replacement forks i got...

the replacement forks were off of a KZ440 (my project bike is a KZ400)...

the replacement forks are a little long (but i can resolve that by simply installing them so the sit a little higher within the top portion of the steering column)....

the question is...

Would the KZ440 Steering cloumn (tree) FIT in the KZ400 body??

i cannot seem to get any info from www.bikebandit.com where i often look for such comparisons...

i've asked the saler to get me a few measurements (i.e., length of center tube, distance between "holes" for tubes)....

??

does anyone have a FIRM info on whether or not this "swap" will work?

when i first got this projcet bike, my son and i started calling it "frankin bike" (from the standpoint
of bringing it back to life)...

little did i know that... well, i will indeed become a monster constructed of various body parts!

thanks...

- prime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Mar 2007 15:15 #119267 by KZQ
When you get into 25 and 30 year old bike restorations and even just refurbishments you're going to end up with some extra stuff. Instead of thinking of the spent/wasted money, I prefer to think that I'm that much better prepared for my next project.

It's not that you shouldn't ask the questions you have asked. It's just that the chances of finding someone who knows more than you already know about your model are slim. Hey, If you find him KZR scores! If you don't, by doing the work, you become the resource that makes KZR better.

I say buy the parts and see if you can make them fit.

I know it's easy to say, it's your money. i know a guy whose sig line goes something like this:
I spend my money on bikes, toys and women, the rest I just squander.

Go for It!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
11 Mar 2007 17:35 #119302 by steell
If you haven't already done so, check out www.kz400.com , it is the absolutely best KZ400/440 resource there is.

KD9JUR

More
11 Mar 2007 17:47 #119308 by primemover
Replied by primemover on topic Urgent Advice (re: replacing steering column)
hey all...

thanks (i was poking around at KZ400.com earlier - re: fork oil issues)...

and, yeah... i know...

"slim chance"....

i was just hoping that someone else walked this specific path...

i have not yet heard back from the saler, but if the measurements "make sense", i should be in business...

we'll see...

- prime