KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?

More
08 Mar 2007 10:47 #118396 by 1gewehr
KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap? was created by 1gewehr
Has anyone tried to swap a disc brake setup for the rear drum on the red-headed step-child (1980 KZ750 G1 twin)?

Not that I've had any issues with the stock set-up, but my shoes are starting to get a bit worn. Rather than replace the obsolete stock shoes, I'd rather upgrade the system if it's doable (and inexpensive).

I've been lurking a bit, but not had any reason to post until I noticed that the shoes were starting to get a bit worn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2007 11:20 #118403 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
Careful what you wish for.

The stock rear drums are not all bad, and good arguments may be made for keeping them.

If it were my money, and shoes found available at a reasonable price, I'd stick with the rear drum.

Just my $.02 :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
08 Mar 2007 13:21 #118427 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
I thought about going w/the rear disk swap on mine, when I was putting her back together, since I had to replace the wheels, anyway. Ended up not doing it because There was no attachment place, on my frame, for the rear master cylinder to attach. I would have had to swap out the brake lever assembly, as well. Way too much work, for marginal improvement, IMO. Going w/a duel front disk brake, might be a better mod? BTW I think I may have put the G1 wheels on mine, when I replaced my spoke wheels.
Good luck
Ron
BTW if you do swap wheels get all the parts. I had all sorts of problems figuring out the correct axles and spacers. I had to replace the swing arm, because the axle was a different diameter and had to mix and match the spacers/speedo gear on the front.

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/03/08 18:08

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
08 Mar 2007 14:50 #118444 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
I'm looking at this subject, and wordering who would want to put twin disk brakes on the rear? :pinch:
Never mind. I got it.:blush: :blush:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
08 Mar 2007 15:41 #118453 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
My 79 KZ750B4 has G wheels and my 80 KZ750G has 79 B wheels :D
Well, my 80 750G did have B4 wheels on it, until an unnamed individual from Mansfield OH
took them home with him :)

But that's ok, my new tires will be here next week, then I can put my set of NOS Morris Mags on it, that's the reason it had B wheels to begin with.

I just swapped the G swingarm/brake pedal/wheel from the rear of the G to the B, and vice versa. Make a bracket for the master cylinder and then clamp it to the frame.

The 79 is my ride back and forth to work bike with a fairing and tail rack, the 80 is my sport 750.

KD9JUR

More
08 Mar 2007 16:33 #118464 by 1gewehr
Replied by 1gewehr on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
Sounds like a complete rear-end swap is the best way to do it.
I'll probably keep an eye out for a bargain on the parts. If it turns up, I'll do it. Otherwise, I'll just put new shoes on.
Thanks for the help, guys!

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
08 Mar 2007 16:42 #118470 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
Your wheels are going to a good cause ,, Cafe Shoe will see them soon ,, Did I ever say Thanks Steel ? Might have to make a ride down your way again this summer .. Shoe :)

More
08 Mar 2007 17:31 #118491 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ750G1 twin rear brake swap?
Shoe48 wrote:

Your wheels are going to a good cause ,, Cafe Shoe will see them soon ,, Did I ever say Thanks Steel ? Might have to make a ride down your way again this summer .. Shoe :)

That's ok, my Nephew and I are planning on staying at your place during Vintage Days at Mid Ohio :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :laugh:

KD9JUR