Banjo bolt update.

More
07 Mar 2007 08:11 #118050 by barquirt
Banjo bolt update. was created by barquirt
I posted here last week about switching the brake line on my 1977 KZ650 B1 from the stock setup to a new steel line, and in the process ditching the old inverted flare brake hose setup for a more modern banjo bolt/banjo fitting upgrade.

I tried using the stock banjo bolts, but they were too long compared to the original inverted flare fittings. I stacked some crush washers to even out the height, and even tried cutting down a stock banjo bolt. Both of those solutions didn't seem very solid options.

So I visited my local dealer with a stock banjo bolt and started snooping through his Goodridge brake line display. I found this banjo bolt #: P922-03-32C. It is a standard 10mm x 1.25 banjo BUT is is about 1/4" shorter than the stock bolts on my KZ650. I took a few home with new crush washers and they threaded right in to the stock caliper and matched the length of the old inverted flare fitting. Perfect! I hooked up the new steel line, all the fittings, used new crush washers and now have a nice, clean, shiny new steel front brake line setup. The new banjo bolt was $5.99 and included the crush washers. Filled and bled the system, no leaks, firm lever pull. And now if I need to service the caliper I can just unscrew the brake line and not have to break the banjo bolt seal.

Hope this helps someone else down the line looking to upgrade their stock lines without the headaches I gave myself trying to make incorrect-sized bolts fit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2007 08:13 #118051 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic Banjo bolt update.
sweet thanks for the info!

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
07 Mar 2007 11:23 #118103 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Banjo bolt update.
For those that don't have a local bike parts dealer, there are many types of Goodridge banjo fittings... 35 degree, 90 degree, straight, etc and all will be the shorter length. You can get these through denniskirk.com or jpcycles.com.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!