Triple Clamp Specs

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2007 20:39 #117937 by Kellen79_650
Triple Clamp Specs was created by Kellen79_650
OK guys, I know that one of you out there has the technical knowledge to answer this question, so here goes; I want to get a new top triple clamp machined but I don't trust myself to accurately measure the triangle formed by the center of left fork, center of right fork and center of steering stem. Any of you have an insight or your own numbers that I can compare mine against? As long as I have those numbers and I get a nice little design going.

Thanks

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Mar 2007 20:53 #117951 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Triple Clamp Specs
What is your true steering head angle?
What size front tire are you going to use? (both diameter and width.)
What trail are you aiming for?
How far apart do your forks need to be?
Here's a pic to help you understand what you're looking at:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2007 21:07 #117955 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Triple Clamp Specs
Well, I am working with a 79 kz650 and am only replacing the top clamp so the width, angle and all that are stock.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
06 Mar 2007 22:48 #117977 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Triple Clamp Specs
Unless I'm missing something, why not give the machine shop the stock top triple clamp and have them use that to replicate the center to center distances, offset, correct "hole" sizes and let them see how the pinch bolts should work and generally give them an idea what you want to replace.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
07 Mar 2007 05:45 #118012 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Triple Clamp Specs
I uploaded a file named MotoGeo.txt to the filebase. It's a motorcycle geometry calculator. You'll need to change the file extension from txt to exe. Not to worry it's no threat. Once you rename it just double click to run.

I never really needed it but I learned a bunch about chassis design while playing with it.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2007 16:15 #118187 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Triple Clamp Specs
Fossil wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, why not give the machine shop the stock top triple clamp and have them use that to replicate the center to center distances, offset, correct "hole" sizes and let them see how the pinch bolts should work and generally give them an idea what you want to replace.

Well, that is an option, but time is money and the less time they spend on it the more money I save, plus I just like doing what I can myself

~Mark Twain