Cutting down banjo bolts.

More
03 Mar 2007 11:57 #117008 by barquirt
Cutting down banjo bolts. was created by barquirt
Anybody tried this? I have a bunch of banjo bolts that would thread right into the front brake caliper on my '77 KZ650 B1 model. Then I could just use a standard brake line fitting setup from Goodridge or Russell.

The original brke linr setup used an inverted flare attachment so the bolt is about 1/4" too long to sit tight and seal good. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2007 12:24 #117015 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Cutting down banjo bolts.
Hey barsquirt - The modified banjo bolts will likely work but the one area one my bike that I would never trust to used or modified parts are the brakes. For the cost of new, properly engineered banjo bolts from Kawasaki or a trusted supplier like Russell I like to have the confidence that the brakes will work when called upon.

I figure my life is worth the investment:)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
04 Mar 2007 08:47 #117257 by barquirt
Replied by barquirt on topic Cutting down banjo bolts.
Actually I found a better solution I think. If I just put a few extra crush washers on the bottom portion of the banjo bolt before tightening it down it fits just fine. So instead of cutting anything I can just use a few extra washers and keep the bolt it's original length and no hassles. Off we go... after carefully bleeding the brake line and checking for any leaks!

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2007 09:04 #117261 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cutting down banjo bolts.
reborn650 wrote:

Hey barsquirt - The modified banjo bolts will likely work but the one area one my bike that I would never trust to used or modified parts are the brakes. For the cost of new, properly engineered banjo bolts from Kawasaki or a trusted supplier like Russell I like to have the confidence that the brakes will work when called upon.

I figure my life is worth the investment:)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

ditto;)