Matching keys on three locksets possible?

More
06 Mar 2007 09:11 #117721 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
rstnick wrote:

Hey congrats on picking a lock!

The problem with resetting the tumblers is that the holding mechanism is a brass closure pressfitted into the top of the tumbler box.

I agree that you don't want to take the cap off the top, as it can be difficult to put back on and stay on. Although it may be possable... The Top Pins and springs are in the "tumbler Box". ...

good information to have, more might help some too

Since I promised way back when to give a little information, if needed, regarding rekeying, here it is.

The brass rectangle will slide out from underneath its achoring, allowing access to everything underneath it. I used the "brute force method," and it was kind of a mistake I regretted for the next three or so hours, while I gathered bitty pieces parts and reinstalled everything I could while matching cylinders. From my experience, I learned that:

Note #1: Cursing doesn't help.

Note #2: Don't attempt this repair while working over brown shag carpeting in the nice warm basement.

If you are VERY careful (like a watchmaker) you can slide the cover off, one cylinder at a time, and recover the spring, pin, and tumbler, and put it into an egg carton for a holder. It's all brass, so a magnet is worthless. (see Note #2, above) The springs themselves are not compressed under the cover, when the key is not inserted in the lock.

Once all cylinders are cleared, you can look at the key, and see where the deeper cuts are, and see if you have a long tumbler to match it. The pins are all the same length. Match them to the cylinder, one at a time. I think Kawasaki supplies a extra dummy cylinder as the furthest cylinder in.

This method keeps the rotating cylinder in the lock housing. When you drop a tumbler in a cylinder to check depth, it should show flush with the top of the cylinder, and of course, the cylinder will turn with the key.

I ended up with one, too short tumbler. One empty cylinder. It's back together now and will keep the bike from a casual rolloff.

Thanks for the pictures.

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/03/06 13:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2007 09:26 #117729 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
rstnick wrote:

I am a Locksmith, so this is what I do all the time.

Hey Rob, not to hijack this thread or anything, but is there a way to modify the cylinder to let the key release from it when it's in the on position? My 1000 did this (due to wear I think) but my 440 doesn't. It would be nice to not have my giant wad of keys smacking around while I'm riding.

More
06 Mar 2007 10:27 #117754 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
mountain wrote:

I am not using photobucket the way I want to. It amde the whole post go way right into the dark blue column. I just want to have a short link in red words like I've seen others do. Any tips for a green site member? Any tips would be much appreciated.

The example below uses double brackets, but when actually posting only single brackets should be used and add a / before the last u

url=http://www.Example.comnameurl

should produce name

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/03/06 13:42

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/03/06 14:09

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/03/06 14:11

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
06 Mar 2007 10:47 #117760 by Patton
mountain wrote:

I am not using photobucket the way I want to. It amde the whole post go way right into the dark blue column. I just want to have a short link in red words like I've seen others do. Any tips for a green site member? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Click on "Help" under "Forum" where this is explained. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Mar 2007 11:19 #117769 by Patton
mountain wrote:

...want to have a short link in red words like I've seen others do. Any tips for a green site member? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Gonna try again --

In this example I'm using upl instead of url, so when actually doing this in a posting, use url instead of upl.

[upl=http://www.Example.com]name[/upl]

should produce name

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
06 Mar 2007 11:36 #117777 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
mountain wrote:

Click on "Modify" for the post that I quoted and look at the link I posted there.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/06 14:39

KD9JUR

More
06 Mar 2007 13:45 #117816 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
I worked at a Home Depot for a while and we rekey'd lots of locks there. If the lock is like the one pictured here they will probably have many pins for it and if you ask really nice you may be able to get them to help you find the right pins for your lock and get them to give them to you (I would have)

This is no help for the locks that have the flat spring loaded plates for the way they lock (like the ones on my '78 Yammy DT250E)

Oh and they'd also likely have the right follower for your lock if it's the same size as door locks. That piece is so important... it makes the job 100 times easier than trying to get each little top pin and spring back in.

More
06 Mar 2007 14:20 #117820 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
Alex: Yes your Ign was worn (the tumblers) if your able to pull out the key while in the ON position. It also depends on which tumblers are used and your key. A key with 1s and 2s in the cuts have shallow cuts and short pins in the lock, so they will often pull out over time.
A key with 3s and 4s are less likely to pull out as the deeper cuts and long pins hold the key in better.
You could disassemble your Ign and remove the longer pins and top pins and springs. Smoothing the high spots on the key may help as well.

I prefer to just have a single key in the Ign with no other keys attached. I hate having extra keys jiggling and making noises. I keep a second with me and house keys in my pocket.

Conpewter: The follower is a big help. A house lock's follower would be larger though, about a 1/2 inch in diametre. The tumblers are most likely a larger diametre as well.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/03/06 17:24

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
06 Mar 2007 14:24 #117824 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
Bah,

Mine says B111344. I guess this one won't be coming out over time. :(

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
10 Mar 2007 06:24 #118896 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
Thnaks for the suggestions and encouragement regarding photobucket and posting clues. I deleted some pictures from my photobucket account and they seemed to disappear from the past post!

Here they are again:
frame internal for fork lock cylinder
fork lock cylinder removed

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 08:00 #119182 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Matching keys on three locksets possible?
OK, one more dumb question. Why do my pictures turn 90deg counterclockwise when they appear on the post from the way they are viewed at my photobucket account album? It has to be a simple thing.

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.