Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2007 14:14 #115318 by sheik*yerbouti
Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer was created by sheik*yerbouti
Hey guys, I've got a quick question.

My 81 KZ1000 CSR didn't have a center stand on it when I got it and I don't plan to use one.

I am assuming that all of these tabs marked with red that are together on the horizontal frame rail are used exclusively for a center stand.

They are about to get the die grinder and then flap wheel treatment if one of you would be kind enough to confirm... :)

Also the tabs that are further up the frame, opposed facing out each side of the bike marked and with a bolt hanging out (you are looking from the real wheel forward), they appear to be only used for the case guards, right? I can't think of anything else that was there.

Also this second pic, of the upper two mounts, the left was empty and the right had a horn. The lower two were both unused. Can anyone confirm before I cut?

Any ideas?

I've got a ton of pics on my website, don't want to deal with all those individual links so I'll just link the page -> www.jasonfagan.com/motorsport/motorcycles/kz1000/index.html

Post edited by: sheik*yerbouti, at: 2007/02/25 17:16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 18:16 #115383 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer
top picture is center stand mounts,not sure about the other picture though;)

More
25 Feb 2007 18:29 #115388 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer
Do want to wait til I check it on my 1000? I can do it tomorow. The second picture I am not sure of where you are.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
25 Feb 2007 19:04 #115400 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer
Whoa, Nellie!! This little cirlie-q thing-a-ma-jigger that my green arrow points to is (if I'm not mistaken) where your rear brake lever return spring attaches.
Right?

Post edited by: pstrbrc, at: 2007/02/25 22:06

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx
Attachments:

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
25 Feb 2007 19:10 #115401 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer
Oh, and on the second picture, that's where an oil cooler mounts. If you're cafe'ing and you use a GPz oil cooler, it'll bolt right up.;)
Just in case you're wondering why I'm so smart,
I CLEANED, SANDED, AND PAINTED MY FRAME TODAY!!! I'M ON THE DOWNHILL SIDE OF MY BABY!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :sick:
Oooh, calm down. Slow, regular breaths. Whew!

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2007 20:32 #115425 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic Frame tab removal on KZ1000 cafe racer
Hey gents thanks for the replies!

Any pics pstrbrc?

I've snicked off the engine case guard mounts, and am working on the center stand 'nut plate' that is welded to the crossmember. Working slowly and carefully as I don't want to get into the crossmember.

That little loop that you drew a green arrow to I thought was for a couple of drain hoses, battery and OEM airbox maybe? Anyway it's gone now.. :) Plus if it is rear brake return spring, it no matter to me and my CBR954RR rearsets anyway. Believe it or not my 954 rearsets, the shift linkage end fits *right* on the KZ motor shift shaft, and the shift rod looks to be about the right lenght too.

Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut!

KZWolfSr - The 2nd pic is shot as if your eyeball is on top of the front fender looking back toward the frame downtubes. I've decided to leave those for now, mainly because it's a tight area and my 4.5" angle grinder looks like it wouldn't be able to cleanly get to it all. I'll decide later.

Anyway, my Air-Tech Kwak H2R glass tail should be here by this weekend, and my TIG guy is all ready for me, just need the get some DOM cold rolled steel tubing from the local steel supply and we are ready to make the frame mods! Then off to power coat!

Later guys!

Did anyone follow the link to my website for project pics?

Here is a teaser:

Linky -> www.jasonfagan.com/motorsport/motorcycles/kz1000/index.html