Air shocks have to go

More
24 Feb 2007 11:56 #115029 by stone_cold
Air shocks have to go was created by stone_cold
'83 KZ1100L1 LTD. I have the rear air shocks on my bike and I hate them. Can someone suggest a reasonably priced none air shock to fit it?

Question one: Would it be safe to assume that shocks off of another series KZ1100 would fit? If so would any of you know what other models I should look for?

Question two: The rubber boots on the lower part of the air shocks need to be replaced if I intend to leave them on the bike. I've looked on the Kawasaki website at the parts diagrams and none show the air shocks much less replacement parts for them. Again, any ideas where to find the boots.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tony T

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/02/24 15:12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2007 13:35 #115045 by rtg
Replied by rtg on topic Air shocks have to go
stonecold: had the same problem with my KZ 1100.. hated the air shocks...I found some Harley shox (takeoffs) at a Harley repair shop in great shape(Near new) for 22.00. had to press out the rubber/metal eyelet bushings in the airshocks to re-use in the Harley shocks ..had'em on about a year now and they work great in the medium position

RTG
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Feb 2007 05:57 #115207 by vipex
Replied by vipex on topic Air shocks have to go
stone_cold wrote:

'83 KZ1100L1 LTD. I have the rear air shocks on my bike and I hate them. Can someone suggest a reasonably priced none air shock to fit it?

Question one: Would it be safe to assume that shocks off of another series KZ1100 would fit? If so would any of you know what other models I should look for?

Question two: The rubber boots on the lower part of the air shocks need to be replaced if I intend to leave them on the bike. I've looked on the Kawasaki website at the parts diagrams and none show the air shocks much less replacement parts for them. Again, any ideas where to find the boots.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tony T<br><br>Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/02/24 15:12

Before any rear suspension options can be recomended I have two quick questions.

What is your weight and what is your riding style?(IE. Cruising,touring hard cornering ,commuting or what blend of each)

More
25 Feb 2007 06:53 #115218 by stone_cold
Replied by stone_cold on topic Air shocks have to go
I weigh 265lb and I mostly ride it to work but I live on a twisty road. I have about 5 miles of curves before I hit the interstate for a couple of miles and then a two lane highway for 12 miles.

I want to make a few short road runs a year with this bike (100 miles a day over 4 days).

So there you have it. I don't want to spend more than the cost of the bike on shocks and if it come to that I'll just repair the air shocks (I have three sets)and ride my Magna most of the time.

Thanks,
Tony T

More
25 Feb 2007 07:05 #115220 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Air shocks have to go
Kawasaki.com shows rubber boot part number 49006-1077

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2007 10:12 #115261 by stone_cold
Replied by stone_cold on topic Air shocks have to go
Thanks Patton but I have to ask how you found that. I looked under 83 KZ1100L1 LTD Shaft and they didn't show the air shocks (they show coil over shocks).

Then I looked up the parts diagram by my serial number and they still only showed the coil over and not the air shocks.

It makes me feel like such a dumbaxx when someone comes in behind me and finds it in the very place I was looking. I'm not mad at you Patton for finding it (I really do appreciate you finding it), I'm mad at me for not being smart enough to find it :pinch:

I get in trouble because I assume. I assume that if I look my bike up by serial number or exact model number that the parts diagrams will be for my bike --- how silly of me :blink:

I'm learning how to work on motorcycles and I love the satisfaction. I am however finding it frustrating feeling like a newbie all the time. I've been a mechanic since 1974, and for 12 years that's what I did for a living. I'm finding that motorcycles are a different animal and a lot of what I was taught in school gets thrown out the window. If it wasn't for you guys helping me out I would just go back to building race cars and forget the motorcycle thing.

Sincerely, thank you for your help.

Tony T

P.S. After I read Pattons post I went back to Kawasaki.com and looked at a different year model 1100 and was able to find the same thing he did -- duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that before :blush:

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/02/25 13:16

More
25 Feb 2007 10:12 #115262 by stone_cold
Replied by stone_cold on topic duplicate post
Duplicate post

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/02/25 13:16