Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work?

More
18 Feb 2007 15:40 #113402 by CruisingRam
Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work? was created by CruisingRam
I gots me some SRAD forks- and boy, do they look short and stubby! I noticed someone on another board had tried Hayabusa forks- looked like they would hit the tank!

Anybody know anyhthing about this?

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2007 12:04 #114459 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work?
Sorry it took so long to answer but I wanted to be sure before shooting my mouth off! I just installed today, my '96 GSXR SRAD upside forks and ZX9 17" wheel on my bike and yes, they are short, like about 2.5" to 3" shorter than stock with the 17" wheel. The only problem I have now is I only have about 3" of clearance under the collector, but a "flat" type collector or side pipe should be no problem. It's really not too hard to adapt the forks to the Kawasaki head tube. I had a KZ1100 stem built up with weld where it presses into the lower triple clamp then turned down to match the stem removed from the GSXR triple clamp. I had a bushing made from the top of the GSXR stem to make up for the smaller diameter KZ stem fitting into the GSXR upper triple clamp. I found I could just trim the GPZ fork stop and retain the stops on the GSXR triple clamp. Sorry, no pics - new computer and still haven't gotten around to loading (or finding) the software.

More
22 Feb 2007 14:42 #114514 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work?
Okay- this is how I am going to give it a shot- tell me if I am stupid- I want to use the 18" diameter rim (spoked) with dual discs from the Z. The rim is aftermarket Buchanan- for a 120mm tire.

So the tire is taller- it looks like it won't bottom out against the triple clamp or anything.

I am making my own top clamp from a plate of 6061 T-6 Aluminum- and use the Z1 neck stem in it's entirety.

I have even been thinking of making the lower triple clamp as well- and giving it the same offset as the Z1.

I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
22 Feb 2007 16:03 #114553 by Fossil
Are your forks upside down? If so, they were designed for use with a 17" wheel, but looking at mine, I think an 18" wheel would clear.
Early GSXRs with "conventional" forks had 18" wheels. Because they are so short compared to the KZ, they do reduce the trail making handling quicker, but the triple clamps have less offset than the KZs, so the trail isn't reduced as much as it would be shortening a KZ front end an equal amount. If making your own triple clamps, I would suggest keeping the offset the same as the GSXR clamps so the trail isn't reduced too much.

More
22 Feb 2007 16:46 #114568 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work?
I think I will leave the lower triple then- it doesn't come too close to the tank at lock to lock when turned?

Yes- they are USD forks. I also have a set of GSXer1000 USD forks coming.

I want to keep the front looking as stock as possible with the USD forks- like they made USD forks in 1975 LOL

I am undecided on whether to run the GS 1100 E swing arm and a 160mm tire, or use the ZX6 swing arm and a 180-200mm tire,

I hate electrical stuff.

More
22 Feb 2007 18:06 #114596 by Fossil
CruisingRam wrote:

I think I will leave the lower triple then- it doesn't come too close to the tank at lock to lock when turned?

Yes- they are USD forks. I also have a set of GSXer1000 USD forks coming.

I want to keep the front looking as stock as possible with the USD forks- like they made USD forks in 1975 LOL

I am undecided on whether to run the GS 1100 E swing arm and a 160mm tire, or use the ZX6 swing arm and a 180-200mm tire,

I trimmed the fork stop on the frame to work with the stops on the GSXR triple clamp so the forks don't hit the tank, but the amount of lock is reduced due to the diameter of the forks and less offset in the triple clamps. No, it isn't an ideal setup but it works.

I saw vcrider's project the other night. He's using a GS1100 swingarm and it looks perfect for a two shock frame. If I didn't have a Unitrac bike, I would be looking for a GS1100 swingarm myself.

More
22 Feb 2007 20:01 #114631 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Got some Zuki Srad forks- will they work?
I think an 18 will be fine, just get a short tire so it wont hit the fender, or move the fender up, or are you even using a gsxr fender?

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH