bottom of fork studs, replace?

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
16 Feb 2007 16:03 #112972 by mountain
bottom of fork studs, replace? was created by mountain

I would really feel safer if I could get new studs in the bottom of my outer fork tubes. The studs look exactly the same as the exhaust port studs. Can the fork tube studs be replaced? I hate to make 'em worse if they are difficult to remove, and then not being able to remove them. I'm sure whole new outer fork tubes are either unavailable or wicked pricey. Any tips?

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 16:28 #112980 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
they screw right out with a pair of vise grips.z1-kz1000 use same studs;)

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
16 Feb 2007 16:41 #112986 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
Thanks, Wireman. I'm on it.

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

More
16 Feb 2007 16:42 #112987 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
kawasaki.com shows part number 92004-1009 STUD,8X35

Have not done this, but would presume heat might help loosen and remove the old stud

The FSMs for KZ900 and KZ1000 do not call for a thread locking agent when installing the stud on those models. Hope another member will submit a definite recommendation as to the KZ750.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
16 Feb 2007 17:00 #112995 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
Clean hole threads and new stud with brake clean or something similar and let dry, apply your favorite loctite and install stud. I would guess that your self locking nuts that hold on the end caps are not in too good shape also, I would replace these also..
You definitly would not want these studs or nuts getting loose on your bike....

My 2 cents

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
20 Feb 2007 07:16 #113840 by mountain

Doh! Well, maybe a hela-coil could fix. I've found a parts bike, total basket case with an extra set of forks, fortunately. I have had this similar problem before removing steel bolts from alluminum taps. It seems the steel and alluminum form some kind of corrosion bond. Alluminum is very stiff and allows the steel to be more maleable when twisting, or something. I've tried worriying the parts for weeks with penatrating oil and still the steel breaks off. The other time it was on the right hand mirror stud in the master cylinder housing. Heat did not seem to help. The alluminum was oxidized around the steel. Any better approaches for next time?

Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 07:19 #113841 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
can you drill a pilot hole and use an ez out on it?;)

More
20 Feb 2007 08:39 #113855 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
More heat might possibly have helped. Heat loosens any existing locking agent and expands the aluminum far more than the steel(so that the aluminum loosens its grip on the stud).

If drilling pilot hole for ez out, suggest lots of heat before beginning the reverse twisting. But don't melt the aluminum. Heat gun might be enough, but would suggest a propane torch (not a welding torch).

Of course, the reverse twisting must be done while the parts are still hot. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
20 Feb 2007 08:49 #113859 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
mountain wrote:

Doh! Well, maybe a hela-coil could fix. I've found a parts bike, total basket case with an extra set of forks, fortunately. I have had this similar problem before removing steel bolts from alluminum taps. It seems the steel and alluminum form some kind of corrosion bond.

I hate that for you. It's an electrolytic bond. You can helicoil it, but if you get your drill centered when you start, you might be able to drill out enough of the original stud so that you don't have to do anything but tap out the what is left after drilling to clean it up.

I know ez-outs seem like a good idea, but with the stud frozen as it is. . .if the ez-out breaks, you are going to be really stuck.

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/02/20 11:54

More
20 Feb 2007 12:20 #113903 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic bottom of fork studs, replace?
the best and most expensive is to find a machine shop that has a EDM machine, they can burn out the stud and chase the threads, no need for a heli coil

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
20 Feb 2007 14:49 #113932 by mountain
Thanks, everyone. Encouragement helps. Yah, electrolytic bond. Hmmm. When this happened to me recently on the mirror stud in the master cylinder body, the mirror stem broke off with a little "outie", I ground the steel stud flat and tried to center and drill, starting real small and increasing bit sizes to wittle away at the steel. As it was not exactly centered, when I got to the "Grey Zone", where the steel meets aluminum, the larger bit grabbed the alluminum violently (one bit size to far!)and snapped off in the alluminum master cylinder body. I was able to get the bit out by fraturing it with a hammer and punch after 30min, (and safety glasses of course!)
There are two types of "easy-outs". One type is straight and obolisk(sp?) looking; the other-spiral reverse type. Any empirical evidence out there on which works more effectively?

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
20 Feb 2007 16:48 #113969 by mountain

Ok, here is what's left of the stud. Drilling it out copromised the threads some.

Attachments: