rear sets

More
14 Feb 2007 08:06 #112294 by NightRider
rear sets was created by NightRider
Hey all,

I have a 1981 650 CSR *(H1). I am looking to continue a cafe project and I am trying to find rear sets. I went through Omar's dirt Track Racing and he said if I had a C model he could get a set of Raask rear sets. Question: How different is the frame from the C to my bike? If different is there a nother company that makes rear sets for old Japanese bikes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ride on.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
14 Feb 2007 08:14 #112296 by kano
Replied by kano on topic rear sets
check part diagrams against each other i have raask on my kz1000r says kz1000j on them

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Feb 2007 08:20 #112298 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic rear sets

kano wrote
check part diagrams against each other i have raask on my kz1000r says kz1000j on them

That's because the R and J models have almost identical frames and peg mounts. Heck, even the shape/style of the bodywork is similar on the two models. ;)

The frames are definately diff between the two 650 models, and I believe the peg mount locations are as well.

I'm not sure what your fabbing skills are, but have you considered just getting a used set of current sport bike rear-sets off of eBay and fitting them onto your bike?
They can usually be had for a lot cheaper than "Omar the rapist" sells the Raask rear-sets for. :pinch:

There are quite a few members here (Mark Wing in particular) who have done this. They look really nice, and function great from what I've heard told. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/02/14 11:23

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
14 Feb 2007 12:11 #112373 by HENRYJ
Replied by HENRYJ on topic rear sets
GSXR's worked good for me.

Here's a ink:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/catid,5/id,49537/

Post edited by: HENRYJ, at: 2007/02/14 15:11
Attachments:

More
14 Feb 2007 12:51 #112375 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic rear sets
It kinda depends on how period correct you want it to look. If that's no objection, you can retrofit modern rearsets no problem.

Tarozzi makes rearsets for vintage Jap bikes, dunno if the make them for your model. They also make universal sets where you have to fab your own mounting plates and shift linkage. Now al you gotta do is find them :pinch:

A few of us have made our own, on some models you can switch footpegs left/right and flip them around. Flip the shift lever around and shorten the brake lever... homebrew style! Guitargeek did a step by step on his, search the archives.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
16 Feb 2007 07:34 #112863 by NightRider
Replied by NightRider on topic frame specs
I am still on my rear sets search. I have seen many that "look" like they would fit but I want to be as sure as possible before I spend $300+ on a set.

So my question:

Did Kawi use frames for other models? Is my CSR(H1) frame the same as any other models? Or did Kawi spend money on re-tooling for each individual model and year. I have tried several local Kawi dealers and most don't want to help or have thrown away the micro-films.

Thanks...digging out of burried NY.