Got new wheels laced up

More
10 Feb 2007 18:07 #111434 by caffcruiser
Got new wheels laced up was created by caffcruiser
Okay, so just one. :D

I'll do the rear tomorrow after I gfigure out where the hell my KZ1K cush drive went. :blink:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2007 09:19 #111539 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Got new wheels laced up
What are Your plans for checking it for alignment?(up and down/side to side)

When I did Mine,I just mounted the rim back into the front end,and I used one of the brake-line brackets to hold a pencil in place,while I gave the wheel a spin to see where it was headed.Marked where it was touching the pencil with a felt-pen and made My adjustments from there.Time consuming process to get it true,for sure.
You'll want to get it balanced once You get a tire mounted on it,btw...just to be sure.

Lookin good!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Feb 2007 16:49 #111647 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Got new wheels laced up
Sandy wrote:

What are Your plans for checking it for alignment?(up and down/side to side)

When I did Mine,I just mounted the rim back into the front end,and I used one of the brake-line brackets to hold a pencil in place,while I gave the wheel a spin to see where it was headed.Marked where it was touching the pencil with a felt-pen and made My adjustments from there.Time consuming process to get it true,for sure.
You'll want to get it balanced once You get a tire mounted on it,btw...just to be sure.

Lookin good!B)

Thanks for the reply! :)

Plans for truing it up... get it to a guy named Marty that used to own the bike shop I work at, and now trues wheels up for us for cheap. :D

We don't have the stuff at work to true up spoked wheels as we mainly deal with sportbikes... :(

I used to work at a bicycle shop, and would love to have a wheel stand to balance here, but sadly I don't.

Oh well.... $40.00 to true/balance two wheels isn't bad at all!

More
11 Feb 2007 18:34 #111675 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Got new wheels laced up
Helluva deal!...$40 for BOTH wheels...can't beat that with a dead chicken!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Feb 2007 19:25 #111692 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Got new wheels laced up
A wheel stand??

Two dining room chairs facing each other about 6" apart, and a wheel/tire combo in the middle with each end of the axle sitting on the edge of a chair.

Takes 20-30 minutes and works like a charm to balance tires :)

Or you could do it in the garage like a sane person (obviously not me) by knocking something together out of 2x4's.

KD9JUR