Putting a 530 on my kz1000, do I need wheel bearings?

More
07 Feb 2007 12:38 #110805 by djnubz
I replaced the front bearings after an ass puckering speed wobble at 100mph when I first bought the bike. Since I did that the bike drove fine but now that I am pulling the rear end of the bike appart to put new sprockets and a chain I am wondering if I should put new bearings in. Is there anything else I should be checking or replacing while I have the back end of the bike appart?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 12:50 #110809 by wireman
atleast check them and repack if they arent sealed,new ones arent that expensive though;) also check your cush drive in rear hub and maybe toss some brake pads in rear and flush out mastercylinder and bleed the brakes while youre at it.also check for slop in swingarm pivot bearings and grease her up while youre back there;)

More
09 Feb 2007 18:04 #111262 by kzwolfsr
While you are talking about swingarm greasing I noticed my swingarm doesn't have a grease zerk. How am I supposed to lube that the easy way? I think I will make a new post.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Feb 2007 13:52 #111888 by Nelson
In my humble opinion, wheel bearings are very easy to replace so don't bother with it just cause the wheel is off the bike. Only do it if you have a sloppy bearing. The ones ya got may have several years left in them.

loctite your new sprocket bolts and torque them evenly

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.