bleeding the brakes

More
31 Jan 2007 00:18 #109319 by Shaolinwind
bleeding the brakes was created by Shaolinwind
It seems as though my Kz750M1's brake line needs to be bled.. I've never done this before but I assume it's not much different than a car. Would I be at all benefited by replacing the brake fluid? Is there anything else I should keep in mind when I do the deed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2007 01:42 #109322 by kzrider
Replied by kzrider on topic bleeding the brakes
Brake bleeding has been discussed sooo many times before, but there is no definate answer or recipe. Differnet techniques work for different people and setups. Do some searches in the archives: kzrider.com/forum

Change the fluid for sure. Cheapest insurance there is.

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

More
31 Jan 2007 06:16 #109345 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic bleeding the brakes
I was lucky enough to have a go at this a few months back in Todds Kawasaki Orphanage.

At the time we were replacing my master cylinder and installing some stainless steel brake lines, but in any case, this is how we did it:

Hook a clear tube up to the nipple on your brake caliper and loosen the bleed screw/nut whatever it is. Have the tube go into a jar/bottle or what not and make sure the end of that tube is submerged in brake fluid.

Take the lid off of your master cylinder and keep an eye on the fluid level while you keep pumping the brake, make sure it is never far from being full, top it up and keep pumping. All the while, you should be looking at your little plastic tube to see if the fluid is coming out clear and with out bubbles (as opposed to brown/crappy colour and/or with bubbles)

When your fluid is running clear and air free, hold down the brake lever and tighten up the bleed screw/nut whatever, remove the tube, clean up the mess and dont forget not to drop the glass jar full of brake fluid crashing down onto your garage floor.

More
31 Jan 2007 06:42 #109351 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic bleeding the brakes
Bled my front disc a few years back, only took a few minutes and all fluid had been replaced. Went for a ride and noticed a big difference in braking and lever feel. :cheer:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
31 Jan 2007 06:47 #109353 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic bleeding the brakes
Bled my front and rear brakes yesterday. No problems, and almost used a full bottle of new brake fluid(DOT3). Just like said above, many different ways, so keep bleeding till you have good clean fluid coming out.

Found one front bleeder fitting clogged. Great to have spares. :)

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp