Lacing to 17" rims, new tank, piggyback shocks!

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Feb 2007 20:25 #110724 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic Lacing to 17
mikekz900 wrote:

Except that I went with polished stainless spokes on a 17X5.5 rim and all that was great, but when I pulled the cover off the bike last weekend I noticed that spoke adjust (pieces that tighten the spokes with) thingies had surface rust on them and I was upset cause the wheel is new and my bike has never never seen rain. Maybe just the moister from inside the garage did it, but my factory wheel never looked like that. Oh and the spokes and stuff that east coast wheels gets are directly from Buchanan!

Ok so a poo poo vote on SS spokes then? I will go back and look but what spoke options are there besides SS, and is polished SS different than plain SS?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2007 12:55 #110810 by jimmybon
Replied by jimmybon on topic Lacing to 17
ss spokes are fine, Mike has rust on the spoke adjusting nuts.
they may not be stainlees as well
I could not get ss nuts so i had them plated with nickel

74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

More
13 Feb 2007 20:31 #112197 by firemun59
Replied by firemun59 on topic Lacing to 17
sheik*yerbouti wrote:

kawsakiman wrote:

didn't i allready see them shocks by a guy called fireman59 on here before?<br><br>Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/01/31 00:05

Hey Kawman, nope actually these shocks are take offs from a 2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1200.

However I did find the locked thread here with the guy selling the preload only piggyback shocks for $200 a pair. If you follow the now 24 page thread over at CB1100F.com forum that was linked on our site, you’ll see that he in fact did deliver his product and the folks are quite happy with them.

In fact he is tooling up right now an order for a couple flavors of KZ’s in silver and gold. They look nice and all, but they are just preload only, whereas these KYB’s from the ZRX are rebound, compression, and preload adjustable. Much better.

I agree though it did look like a scam in the making. I am not associated or endorsing at all just pointing out what I saw.

Thanks for the update (not edorsement) It was and is my own proprietary business and is a really a passion of mine to do something like this. I am sorry it appeared like a 'scam' as you refer to it. It never was and I was only sick and tired of paying megabucks for replacement parts on a vintage bike.

This is not a criticism but only an observation.I do not know why there is no room for any form of commercial advertising at this site. In my case I am only doing this for the because of my passion for vintage bikes.

Please use the weblink in my signature and send me an email f you are interested.

Cheers......

heres a picture you might like to see
Attachments:

More
14 Feb 2007 06:35 #112268 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Lacing to 17
firemun59 wrote:

This is not a criticism but only an observation.I do not know why there is no room for any form of commercial advertising at this site. In my case I am only doing this for the because of my passion for vintage bikes.

Moderator hat on

The "Why" is very simple, the owner of this site has decided that he doesn't want any commercial advertising on this site.

Your "passion for vintage bikes" does not justify ignoring rules that you are well aware of.

But you already know all of this due to the numerous PM's we have exchanged on this subject.

Moderator hat off

KD9JUR

More
14 Feb 2007 16:40 #112430 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Lacing to 17

sheik*yerbouti wrote:

I've already learned one thing from your post after scratching my head and doing more searching, I found out that you can use tubeless radials, with radial specific tubes (due to spoked rims)..!

I had no idea about that! Nice. That totally changes my search for rubber.

How do you think the supermotard guys do it up? ;)

I'm running a 170 series Michelin Pilot Road on the rear (5.5x17 Excel rim) and a 130 series Michelin Pilot Sport on the front.

This was a direct recommendation from the bossman at the bike shop I work at who races motard.

Apparently the 130/180 combo doesn't work out too well... the rear grip overpowers the front end, whereas the classic Ducati guys running a 3.5" front and 5.5" rear have found that a 170 rear and 130 front is a PERFECT combo for handling.

Also, running a Pilot Road on the rear will net you just as much grip as a Pilot Sport will... but in a MUCH longer lasting package!

But yes, the interior of the Pilot tire is very friendly to tubes and doesn't cause much of a problem. Just don't forget to either strap or tape off your spokes so you don't have to worry about it. :)

*****Oh, and there's an above post about tarnishing on the nipples that you will recieve from Buchanan.

Yes, it will happen. The spokes themselves are made out of Stainless, but the nipples are not. Solution? Go over them every so often with a carnuba based wax and a sooooft toothbrush to work it in. That way you'll keep them looking nice.

Also, make sure that if you ever take the wheels apart you lubricate the spokes/nipples well. You can cause them to fail if you forget that step. :S

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/02/14 19:44