Frok lock remove ?

More
27 Jan 2007 17:11 #108617 by kaw-62046
Frok lock remove ? was created by kaw-62046
Sending my 1980 LTD 1000 frame to get powder coated.Need to take the fork lock out,do not have a key to fit it.Is there any way to get it out.Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2007 17:25 #108625 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frok lock remove ?
i just cut mine out of the steering head and welded up he hole and switched to an older style lower tree with lock built into it ;)

More
29 Jan 2007 10:28 #108962 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Frok lock remove ?
If it's like mine, it has a twist rivet holding the cover in place. Stick a thin-bladed screwdriver under the cover and pop it a couple times with a hammer. That should allow you enough of the rivet to grip it with a vise grip and twist it out the rest of the way. If you plan on reusing the lock, you will find that it is stuck in the channel. Try tapping the lock into the headstock with the screwdriver on the edge of the lock itself, then go inside of the headstock and use a pipe or something to push the lock back out. There is a rollpin perpendicular to the lock which acts as the anchor for the lock when it is in use. It's not the same thing as the part that holds the fork itself when the lock is set. What hopefully might happen while you are driving the lock assembly back and forth is that the pin will retract enough so as to allow the lock itself to be removed. I got mine out that way and was able to take the lock apart for rebuilding so it would work with my key, which until that was done, didn't work at all. I was able to reset the cylinders to match the key, so if you think that might work for you, I can post that information sometime in the future as well. Happy hunting.

More
01 Feb 2007 17:19 #109586 by kaw-62046
Replied by kaw-62046 on topic Frok lock remove ?
Thanks for all the help.I will give it a try.

More
01 Feb 2007 17:41 #109592 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Frok lock remove ?
Very useful info KaZoo

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive