paint rear shock springs?

More
26 Jan 2007 04:54 #108264 by 76LTD
paint rear shock springs? was created by 76LTD
Someone in the past seems to have painted my black shock springs sort of a silver. So now they are part silver and part black. Does anyone have experience or suggestions for painting shock springs? I see an old post where KZJim recommends powder coating them with great results.

:huh: Folks: I am new to the forum. Other than my intro a month ago, this is my second post. I have received zero response on both posts. Am I doing something wrong? Taboo topics? I am stumped.

Post edited by: 76LTD, at: 2007/01/27 08:04

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2007 07:40 #108505 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic paint rear shock springs?
76LTD wrote:

:huh: Folks: I am new to the forum. Other than my intro a month ago, this is my second post. I have received zero response on both posts. Am I doing something wrong? Taboo topics? I am stumped.<br><br>Post edited by: 76LTD, at: 2007/01/27 08:04

Hey 76Ltd,
Nah, just bad luck I guess. I'm sure you'll get tired of the fellas talkin your ear off pretty soon. Hang in there.
As far as the springs go: if pc is in the budget, ofcourse that looks great. If not, I've rattle canned mine and have been very pleased with the results.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
27 Jan 2007 07:53 #108511 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic paint rear shock springs?
Thanks dutchz:

I appreciate the encouragement. I Rattlecanned the shock bodies already. They have some life left in them but probably not much. I wonder if I PC the springs, could use them on new bodies in the future. I am amazed at how much motorcycle shocks cost. Reusing the springs might save me some $.

More
27 Jan 2007 08:27 #108521 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic paint rear shock springs?
Welcome 76LTD.

I also would like to paint my springs sometime, as there are a few spots that the covering has come off and a bit of rust has formed. I have Koni shocks, and they seem to have a black rubber or plastic coating on the springs. Just have to figure out what to do about removing the coating, or recovering them or just painting.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
27 Jan 2007 08:36 #108525 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic paint rear shock springs?
Without knowing more about the shocks (original? aftermarket? brand?) would suggest learning whether equivalent replacement shocks are currently available before going to trouble and expense of powdercoating the springs.;)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Jan 2007 09:28 #108538 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic paint rear shock springs?
We didn't see your post, or at least I didn't. If I was to spray my springs I would dip them in the dip that some people use to insulater tools that give them that covering, its like liquid rubber that dries and hardens. Its flexible and wouldn't break off from flexing of the springs

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
27 Jan 2007 11:20 #108552 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic paint rear shock springs?
Hey saw this post and can't help to wonder?
You can get brand NEW chrome shocks w/springs, rating @ 440 lbs.
They are on e-bay for $88.90 per PAIR.
Brand NEW in the box.
Do a sellers earch on e-bay for .....
.ibuy.isell
There is no way its fesiable to remove the shocks, take the springs off, clean them, sand them, treat them, and then ..paint them? Maybe paint will last, maybe it won't?
$88.90 sounds like the way to go for me!!!
And I have new chrome shocks that I don't have to worry about peeling, leakage, or what could end up being hours of wasted labor.
Just a thought !

More
27 Jan 2007 12:28 #108565 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic paint rear shock springs?
Off the showroom floor, the 1976 KZ900 LTD was equipped with Boge Mulholland shock absorbers, type LT-13110, used with 2.0 kg-per-mm (110 ppi) straight-wound springs (black in color). If oil leakage appeared, the seals could be replaced with Suspension Rebuilding Kit Part No. K45014-201.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2007 13:14 #108580 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic paint rear shock springs?
i dont know about anybody else but im kinda leary about buying bargain basement stuff off ebay if i cant see it up close and personally.if you still have the rebuildable shocks on your bike i would bite the bullet and rebuild them ,just remember to prep them really good like youre painting anything else.as far as the springs go if you can afford it i would powdercoat them,its gonna be really hard to paint all the surfaces of the spring and get it to stick for any length of time im thinking;) oh yeah,welcome to z-jungle:P

More
27 Jan 2007 20:53 #108677 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic paint rear shock springs?
There ya go, bunch of nice fellas here. I used rattle can engine paint and baked it on in the sun (I guess this only works in socal :P) and it's staying on beautifully. Make sure you spray thin coats with this stuff so it stays smooth. It's more resistant than regular rattle can paint as long as you cure it properly.
Cheers
Dutch

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
27 Jan 2007 21:42 #108679 by 76LTD
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I think they are the original rebuildable shocks. They do have a number on them 13110. They also say HECHO EN MEXICO. Two coats of primer and three coats of black paint and they look fine. I did have to innovate on one of the rubber bushings though. The metal and most of the rubber in the eye separated from the rest of the eye when I took them off the bike. I cleaned the parts up and used shoe goo to replace the old rubber.:woohoo:

Attachments:

More
27 Jan 2007 21:44 #108680 by 76LTD
Attachments: