SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines

More
24 Jan 2007 06:06 #107821 by 76LTD
SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines was created by 76LTD
So, my original 1976 brake hoses are cracked and need replacing. There are several questions that arise and it looks like the jury has not been polled for a while. I am not a purist on my restoration so I am looking for value, performance, and look. Probably in that order. I have been shopping around and it looks like one can have exact fit ss braided lines for a bit more than OEM hoses. I found a full 4 line set of Galfer ss lines for $166.44 @ 1tail.com with free shipping. Comes with all new ss banjo bolts and washers. It looks like I can get a 3 line front set of OEM style lines from Z1 Enterprises for 104.97 and might be able to get a rear OEM from MR Cycles for $32.12. That's 138.05 Then there is S&H, so I am looking at almost the same price. So my questions to you all are:

1. OEM hose or stainless steel braid? All the advantages of ss braid, seems like a no brainer. Seems some like the softer feel of OEM.

2. Stainless steel ends? HEL says there the best for corrosion resistance. Galfer lines advertise "polished silver over brass." Aluminum looks more expensive and I really don't need the weight savings. The original ends are steel.

3. DOT or not? Seems some advertise as DOT approved.

4. Buy the hose in pre-made lengths with ends separately? Might save a few cents. More bulk on the end of each line. I am not talking about cutting my own lines. Could use my old banjo bolts.

5. Reuse old banjo bolts and crush washers? Mine seem fine although the bolts are not shiny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2007 08:00 #114403 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines
I put a set of HEL lines on the KZ650B3 last summer and I really like the way they turned out. The only problem is that line lengths seem to be different due to his measurements coming from European bikes. I am going to confirm the line lengths for my SR and order a set for it.

I like the black finish and the positive feel is great. I, for one, will not consider anything less than SS lines. Also, the HEL kit includes new bolts and washers and the install turned out really nice.

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
22 Feb 2007 10:00 #114430 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines
I had a set of braided steel on my MKII for quite a few years. I felt no difference in performance of the brakes personally, but liked the looks of them. Later I decided I liked the stock hoses looks better so reinstalled them.
A couple comments if you do buy replacement hoses. Length is measured by the complete hose including the banjo fittings to the very edge of the banjo. Not from the center of the banjo where the bolt goes, so be sure to measure this way or you'll get short hoses.
Second comment, which may have just been the particular brand of hoses I bought which were Russell, don't use the crap washers they supply, reuse your old ones, because the ones supplied would just flatten out when the banjo was tightened down making constant leaks, because I could only tighten the banjo bolt to like 2 ft/lb before the washers would start flattening.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Feb 2007 10:47 #114441 by vipex
Replied by vipex on topic SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines
76LTD wrote:

So, my original 1976 brake hoses are cracked and need replacing. There are several questions that arise and it looks like the jury has not been polled for a while. I am not a purist on my restoration so I am looking for value, performance, and look. Probably in that order. I have been shopping around and it looks like one can have exact fit ss braided lines for a bit more than OEM hoses. I found a full 4 line set of Galfer ss lines for $166.44 @ 1tail.com with free shipping. Comes with all new ss banjo bolts and washers. It looks like I can get a 3 line front set of OEM style lines from Z1 Enterprises for 104.97 and might be able to get a rear OEM from MR Cycles for $32.12. That's 138.05 Then there is S&H, so I am looking at almost the same price. So my questions to you all are:

1. OEM hose or stainless steel braid? All the advantages of ss braid, seems like a no brainer. Seems some like the softer feel of OEM.

2. Stainless steel ends? HEL says there the best for corrosion resistance. Galfer lines advertise "polished silver over brass." Aluminum looks more expensive and I really don't need the weight savings. The original ends are steel.

3. DOT or not? Seems some advertise as DOT approved.

4. Buy the hose in pre-made lengths with ends separately? Might save a few cents. More bulk on the end of each line. I am not talking about cutting my own lines. Could use my old banjo bolts.

5. Reuse old banjo bolts and crush washers? Mine seem fine although the bolts are not shiny.

its a no brainer.........go SS....better feel and with a fresh rebuild,proper bleeding and new high quality pads will add up to a bike that stops alot better - it will be safer as well....my 2 cents worth

More
22 Feb 2007 13:25 - 21 Feb 2013 21:28 #114491 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 21:28 by H1Vindicator.

More
24 Feb 2007 00:22 #114901 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic SS Braided vs OEM hose brake lines
If you do decide to keep it stockish looking, you can get the SS lines, and use black shrink wrap over them. I've seen it done, and it looks good.