Rustol Anyone ever use it?

More
17 Jan 2007 18:52 #106506 by yeperra
Rustol Anyone ever use it? was created by yeperra
I was told by a guy that Rustol is the only thing to use on the inside of a tank to get it clean and protect it without using Kreem. I read the article here on the site for tank cleaning but I'm a little worried to use acid on a tank that has a great paint job just in case it spills on it. Here is the link for the Rustol.
www.sudco.com/rustol.html

Thanks
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I didn't know where to put it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2007 19:01 #106509 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Rustol Anyone ever use it?
I would stick to the normal customs. You might not know how far the rust is in your tank and that stuff might open a hole somewhere, plus acid is your worst choice right now, could be! Someone here might have something different

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
19 Jan 2007 12:02 #106845 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Rustol Anyone ever use it?
I have personally used it and swear by it. It bonds to the rust and pops it off, then it bonds to the bear metal that is inside your tank, protecting it.
The caveat is this: if you have any rust - especially under the fuel cap area - it will find it and pop it off...you'll find out if your paint job really is that good.

On occassion I have had to 'double' the concentration, and it is expensive...but it works. Be patient and follow the directions. As I said, I have doubled the concentration before...but I'm impatient and it's re-usable.

Good luck.
-KR

Post edited by: Bad Kaw, at: 2007/01/19 15:03

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
19 Jan 2007 12:41 - 21 Feb 2013 21:09 #106856 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 21:09 by H1Vindicator.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Jan 2007 05:13 #107396 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Rustol Anyone ever use it?
I can't remember the name of this stuff I use, but Lowes has it. It's a blue colored liquid, that I swear by. Somewhere around the paint department. I've been using it for years and it's cheap. Seems like it was only about 5 bucks for a 2qt bottle. Plus it really does remove and prevent further rust.
I have this old hammer I keep on my boat dock on the Mississippi. It used to be perpetually rusty. I decided to make it my test subject when I found the stuff. I sanded off the loose rust and slathered the blue stuff onto it. A few minutes later all the rust was gone. All that was left was a grey steel appearance. And it still looks pretty much the same way after about three years of living outside.
I haven't tried it in a gas tank, nor have I tried to paint over it, but I'm sure it'll work.

As far as hurting your paint, just make some precautions like keeping a water hose running while you slosh the stuff around in your tank, when it trickles out onto the paint (you know it will no matter what you do), just quickly rinse it off. Not a prob. But don't rinse the tank out. You want to let that air dry so it leaves it's phosphate coating.

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/01/22 08:24
Attachments:

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
22 Jan 2007 07:17 #107416 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Rustol Anyone ever use it?
i used this stuff
found it easy to use
and worked great
so good im about to reorder another
for my spare tank i just put a aircraft filler cap in.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Gas-T...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

More
22 Jan 2007 10:21 #107442 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Rustol Anyone ever use it?
I tried Rustol on my bad rusty tank restoration and was very impressed with the results. Took awhile, but it got the job done -- used a plumbing plug to block the gas cap hole. Several years later and it's still clean. Recommended, but pricey.

'75 Z1B with mods