re-using axles, bearings, etc?

More
16 Jan 2007 13:25 #106116 by EsaPro
re-using axles, bearings, etc? was created by EsaPro
If I were to acquire new(er) wheels for my bike, that are otherwise good, except no axles, bearings, seals, etc., would it be possible to re-use those from my existing wheels? I am pretty sure the axles are a "yes", but what about the bearings and seals?

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2007 13:31 #106119 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic re-using axles, bearings, etc?
The bearings will likely need a fair bit of force to tap them out, which can damage them. I'd start with new as their not expensive and good for peace of mind.
The seals depend on what condition their in and how easy they come out. If the seals are 10+ years old, but new.

There's a chance that the axle and bearing sizes are completely different. What yr. and models we talking?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
16 Jan 2007 13:52 #106124 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic re-using axles, bearings, etc?
I agree with rstnick -- replace the bearings. You can get a complete set at any local bearing shop for about $25. The KZ bearings are off-the-shelf standard sized items. If you are swaping wheels between different model bikes you likely will have different bearings and axel sizes.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
16 Jan 2007 17:49 #106165 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic re-using axles, bearings, etc?
Thanks. I did not realize the bearings were a commodity item (Seems everything else on these bikes is tough to find!)

We are talking wheels from a '78 B3 going on a '79 B4. From what I see on the Kawasaki parts site, should be the same. Not sure why there are no axles on these - seems to me it would be easier to leave 'em in (Unless he is trying to maximize his income and chopping the bike into minute parts).

The parts on the bike now - who knows how old? I am at least the 3rd owner, and the poor thing had no love at all for the past couple years. Rust, oxidation, wasp nest in the motor fins, spiders nest in the font caliper (found that just tonight!). The pads themselves look surprisingly good.

Thanks for the info on those parts - makes my decision a bit easier.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)