Installing steel brake lines

More
14 Jan 2007 17:55 #105667 by barquirt
Installing steel brake lines was created by barquirt
I plan to switch the front brake line on my 1977 KZ650B1 to stainless steel. There are a bunch of companies (Goodridge and Russell to name two) that make steel lines in various lengths and all the banjo bolts, etc. you need to switch things.

My question, though, is this: on many old bikes like my KZ, there is what my manual calls a "brake pipe" -- a steel tube that runs from the caliper out behind the fork leg and threads into the stock rubber brake hose. If I switch to steel, will I need some type of special adapter to make this piece work with a newer line? Or will a Goodridge or Russell brake line that has threaded ends just slip right on? Someone out there must have done a line swap like this... let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2007 18:30 #105677 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Installing steel brake lines
you should be able to get lines made up that will adapt to your existing steel lines.skipper76 made up a set for his 900ltd that hooked to his rigid lines coming from calipers not sure where he bought them,maybe try z1 enterprises;)

More
14 Jan 2007 20:12 #105698 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Installing steel brake lines
Hey barquirt - I changed the stock lines to braided stainless lines on my triple disc Kz650 2 years ago. I simply disconnected the factory lines and brought them into my local aftermarket bike supplier. They measured the lengths and the angles on the tubes connected to the rubber hose and simply ordered everything from Russell's product book. I used the original banjo bolts and simply threaded the lines onto the factory fittings. Piece of cake.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontrario Canada
1977 Kz650 Custom - 810 big bore, Wired George Mikuni smoothbores and lottsa go-fast goodies hidden away inside. Miss January on the 2007 Kzrider.com calendar.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
14 Jan 2007 21:19 #105719 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Installing steel brake lines
You can make Your own,"Brake pipes"...I did.
You'll want to use the existing fittings from the old ones,and make up new ones out of a length of brake line from an auto-parts store.
You'll need a flaring tool for the fittings also.
I also had to get a machine-shop to make Me 2 double ferrules(very small insert made out of brass) for the connections,from the Russel steel-braided lines to the pipes.For some reason,the one line would just barely seep out fluid.I tried cleaning the tapered end as best I could but it still leaked.With the brass ferrules in the connection...no leaks for over 3 years now.
As far as bending the pipes...I used different sized sockets that I clamped into My bench-vice,and used a rubber mallot to shape them.B)

(Tried to post a pic,but for some reason,My computer all of a sudden won't recognize My camera any more...WTF?)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Jan 2007 04:27 #105746 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Installing steel brake lines

won't recognize My camera any more...WTF

What is the message it gives?

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
15 Jan 2007 08:24 #105780 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Installing steel brake lines
pumps wrote:

won't recognize My camera any more...WTF

What is the message it gives?

No message,Pumps...just won't show up like it normally did,in "My Computer" as a removable drive.It shows up in My system tray,as being there to "Safely remove",and even lists the camera,but I can't access it through "My Computer" anymore.

Hey...We just high-jacked!
:huh: ...Sorry.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Jan 2007 13:02 #105849 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Installing steel brake lines
I had a deal where no matter the usb device i plugged in it would give a "device not recognised" balloon. Ipod, camera ANYthing. Hopped around a bit on the net looking for an answer..something complicated I was assuming. Well the answer I tried and have used a couple of times was shut down,unplug it from the wall for a minute, then re-power and its worked every time. Go figure-something simple...John

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive