Washing clutch release with cover?

More
12 Jan 2007 18:46 #105293 by EsaPro
Washing clutch release with cover? was created by EsaPro
Since I cannot seem to get the @#$$%$^% clutch release off of the sprocket cover, would there be any harm to washing it along with the cover? I was going to scrub that sucker like the greasy roasting pan it is, but I am concerned about any parts in the clutch release that might not like that - though I do not see anything in the FSM except inner & outer gears, and some release balls.... :woohoo:

Note the rounded lower screw. I have been hitting these with PB blaster and an impact driver for two days now... no dice.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2007 19:58 #105298 by KZDon
Replied by KZDon on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I'd think you're going to want it apart in any case. Are you planning to soap and water it, or use a parts washer? Parts washer solvent shouldn't bother the clutch release mechanism, but I wouldn't want to get soap and water in there.

You still might be able to get the screw out, despite trashing the philips head. If you can get a hacksaw blade in there, carefully cut a groove across the head that will fit a large flathead screwdriver. You may have more luck with the impact driver with the flathead as well.

If that doesn't work, try some heat. A propane torch flame directly on the screw head may loosen things up. Try to stay away from the clutch release bits.

If none of that works, drill straight down into the screw with a small bit and use a screw extractor to coerce it out of there.

Midland, Ontario, Great White North

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550

More
12 Jan 2007 21:59 #105307 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
can you get at it with a set of needle nosed vice-grips?
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
12 Jan 2007 22:26 #105310 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
Maybe if you grind a couple of flay spots on it with a dremmel and use the needle nose vice grips. Not sure if anything will hurt it but think of all the gunk that gets in there. It should be fine with whatever you throw at it. Maybe spray some wd40 in it when clean?

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
13 Jan 2007 06:02 #105331 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I originally was going to wash it in the sink with soap and water, but changed my mind to use engine cleaner instead. This is all being done simply to polish the cover (Easier to sit and watch football whilst I polish!)

I will slot them with the dremel and see what I get. I really hope I dont have to resort the the easy-outs - hate to get metal shavings all in there.

Thanks guys!

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
13 Jan 2007 08:27 #105354 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I always have success with using a dremel to cut a slot for a flathead. The heat generated for cutting the slot is usually enough to lossen things up.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
14 Jan 2007 18:22 #105673 by EsaPro
Yup, kawtoy, that worked like a charm! I cleaner it up with some engine cleaner, slotted the offending screw, and viola! When it goes back together, there just happened to be a couple screws in the hex-head assortment I got from z1 that fit nicely.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
14 Jan 2007 20:59 #105712 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I just love when a plan comes together! It would have been bad to have to get really mean with it. Did you end up using the impact driver?:woohoo:

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
15 Jan 2007 06:27 #105756 by EsaPro
Oh yea. I was pretty nervous, cause I had to beat the crapola out of it. I was worried I was going to crack the cover before the screw came loose. I had the cover on some carpet, holding it with my foot. Shoulda got a pic of them acrobatics, now that I think of it. :P

All good, though. Thanks for all the input!

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
15 Jan 2007 06:35 #105758 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I'm wondering..and have a question for you wise KZ mechanics. If I get into a similiar "can't get the screw/bolt loose" situation, instead of using an impact driver that you hit with a hammer, could I use my air operated impact driver I got for Christmas with my new compressor? Start with lower pressure and dial it up until the offending fastener surrenders?

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
15 Jan 2007 08:23 #105779 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
pumps wrote:

I'm wondering..and have a question for you wise KZ mechanics. If I get into a similiar "can't get the screw/bolt loose" situation, instead of using an impact driver that you hit with a hammer, could I use my air operated impact driver I got for Christmas with my new compressor? Start with lower pressure and dial it up until the offending fastener surrenders?

Believe the impact driver would be less likely to wallow out a screw head.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Jan 2007 08:43 #105783 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Washing clutch release with cover?
I used my hammer driven impact wrench until I picked up a DeWalt cordless 14.4v impact driver for doing a huge screw-down metal roof. It is slick as can be for knocking off sticky bolts and those boogered up #3 phillips screws on the engine covers.