GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions

More
07 Jan 2007 15:20 #104003 by inline4
GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions was created by inline4
Hopefully someone here can help with my questions.
I have installed the GS1100 swingarm on my Z1 frame. I have attempted to mount several different rear wheels from assorted ZX6s. On all of them the sprocket bolts rub the left inside of the arm which will not allow me to center the wheel on the arm. The ZX6 wheel size is 17x4.50.
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 17x4.0 rear wheel? It needs to be a three-spoke design so that it will somewhat match my front wheel.
Now I also have a GPZ rear wheel that is a 17x3.0 size. It allows much more clearance, but hell my front tire (ZX11C) is almost that wide!
I really don't want to go with the GPZ wheels because I like the look of the 3-spoke wheels MUCH better. And besides, the GPZ wheels weigh a hell of a lot more than the more modern wheels.
All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2007 15:29 #104004 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions
You will need to have the sprocket carrier machined down to move the sprocket inboard, and an offset front sprocket.
I again refer to Lorcan's site: 750turbo.com/zx6_rear.htm
This will give you an idea what is required, but none of the actual measurements will apply to the GS swingarm/ZX6 wheel combo.

More
08 Jan 2007 05:26 #104124 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions
Just a thougt but should´t you align the chain line, not the wheel in center of the swingarm? I got a GSX 1100 -arm and ZX9-R rim in my ´83 ELR and if I´d center the wheel into the arm the chain line would be way off. I believe the chain-line is much more important.

I used an off-set sprocket to move the chain-line as much left as possible to match the new wider rim and to align the chain-line as close as possible but I know that the wheel-line is a bit off. If you change from a 3" rim to a 4,5" the rear sprocket will move to the left and if you then align the rim with the arm your chain-line is way off and can cause some serious problems.

Fossil: It might be possible to machine the rim to get the sprocket inwards but then the chain has no clearance to the wheel. I got about 3mm clearance to the wheel.

Post edited by: Z1109R Fin, at: 2007/01/08 08:30

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
08 Jan 2007 13:00 #104236 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions
Z1109R, that would be helpful IF my engine was in the frame.;) I'm just trying to get all the chassis and electrical in order before I completely reassemble and install the engine.
I'll get it figured out.B)
Thanks,
Jim

More
08 Jan 2007 13:38 #104241 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions
you need the wheel centered so the front and rear tires are travelling in line. if your rear wheel is off to one side, you can throw handling out the window. get the wheels lined up and then figure out the best way to get the sprockets to line up. offset front sprockets, machined hubs or a combo.
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
09 Jan 2007 02:28 #104406 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic GS arm/Rear wheel fitment questions
77KZ650 wrote:

you need the wheel centered so the front and rear tires are travelling in line. if your rear wheel is off to one side, you can throw handling out the window. get the wheels lined up and then figure out the best way to get the sprockets to line up. offset front sprockets, machined hubs or a combo.
Scott

Absolutely right 77KZ650, but making mods is all about compromises. Getting wheel-line and chain-line absolutely in-line can be a bit difficult. What I meant was that you should start from the chain-line and then make the wheel-line as good as possible. Slight diff in wheel alignment is not so bad as a poor chain alignment. When you adjust the drive-chain how accurately can you tighten the rear axle? 1-2mm diff in axle position allready makes a diff in wheel alignment.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not an expert in frame geometry att all. I´ve only´built one ELR and I think it came out pretty good and I just tried to tell my point of view based on what I did with my bike.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...