KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings

More
26 Dec 2006 19:16 #101900 by KZReeder
KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings was created by KZReeder
Wading in knee deep into the cafe project lately... can't seem to find replacement bearings for the steering or the swing arm...

I haven't taken them apart yet to see if they need replaced but would really like to replace them with new ones regardless.

Anyone know where I could find these? or know of a cross reference that would work from another bike?

Thanks!
Claude

Ps.
Jeff, I didn't see them on your website... if you got 'em let me know.B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2006 20:06 #101909 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
Ok this is spooky I just happened upon a neat site about five minutes ago that has some of the parts you are looking for.

www.partsnmore.com

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
26 Dec 2006 21:05 #101917 by KZReeder
Replied by KZReeder on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
was there earlier and didn't see any of the above mentioned bearings for the KZ1000e or (ST)...

More
26 Dec 2006 21:20 #101920 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
Contact All Balls... they'll have what you need.

More
27 Dec 2006 06:41 #101951 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
I figured that they used these bearings only in the ST like most parts, but at least the steering stem bearings were used in so many models I cant list them. Everything from a KX250 to a KZ1000 modern police bike to a VN700 to a KZ1300 used this same bearing. Used in 20-30 different Kaws. Should be stock at any Kawasaki dealer in the country I would think. Part # 92116-1008 $37.69, 92116-1009 $23.54
Same with the swingarm bearings, used in everything that had shaft drive basically from 4 wheelers to the Concourse. Stock at any decent dealer. Now whether any dealers are "decent" is another story though. Part # 92116-1001 $23.54 each. Prices obtained from bikebandit.com which are normally Kawasaki list price. Dealers set their own prices, usually 10-20% over list.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2006 06:58 #101953 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
Ron, while Bikebandit.com generally has the best stock of NOS OEM parts, I generally buy most of my OEM from mrcycles.com - They are pretty big and fairly well stocked and the prices are better... quite a bit better. They have online microfiche. Ronayers.com does as well I think but they are too slow shipping generally, for my business purposes.

As mentioned, the steering bearings can be had from www.z1enterprises.com as they are cross referenced with a zillion bikes. The swingarm bearings are tapered needle bearings and getting the swingarms out is a chore to replace the bearings.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Dec 2006 07:06 #101954 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
Thanks George. You're right, these parts are 15% less at mrcycles.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2006 10:36 #101997 by KZReeder
Replied by KZReeder on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
wiredgeorge wrote:

As mentioned, the steering bearings can be had from www.z1enterprises.com as they are cross referenced with a zillion bikes. The swingarm bearings are tapered needle bearings and getting the swingarms out is a chore to replace the bearings.

Thanks.

WG, did you replace the bearings in the swing arm? I was looking at my service manual last night... didn't look too bad. I plan on pulling the motor anyways.

More
29 Dec 2006 06:50 #102332 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ1000e steering and swing arm bearings
I didn't replace the swingarm bearings. The swingarm bearings are tapered needle bearings and if the swingarm moves freely, there is little point in my opinion. Also, regardless of what the shop manual says, the bearings are a chore to remove. The only way I would change them were if they were bad OR I wanted to powdercoat the frame. I shot mine myself. If you pull the engine, you also don't need to remove the bevel gear case as stated in the manual. In fact, I am not sure why they recommend it other than you would have to to split the cases and perhaps lighten the engine. FWIW: In the gasket kits sold for the ST by z1enterprises.com, the kit DOES contain the bevel gear gasket... I was kind of surprised. The OEM gasket is still available through Kaw so it must cross with later models. I bought a couple... hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!