Extending swingarm

More
25 Dec 2006 21:16 #101750 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Extending swingarm
After looking at my swingarm again wouldn't lengthening them at the tubes make the swingarm wider at the axle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2006 02:00 #101759 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Extending swingarm
yep you could fit a little more rubber in it that way,you just have to lay it out and start measuring 1-2"on the swingarm shouldnt cause any issues in width then you can always slide wheel back in adjusters to pick up another 1";)

More
26 Dec 2006 08:16 #101775 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic Extending swingarm
bkitchen: i replied to your pm about that arm i have.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
26 Dec 2006 14:47 #101835 by big mike
Replied by big mike on topic Extending swingarm
i get all fuzzy inside when i look at it mm yep its a verry nice bike ill ride it lol

More
27 Feb 2007 14:56 #115861 by demented
Replied by demented on topic Extending swingarm
could post some pics after you are finished with the project? i am thinking of doing the same thing with my stock swingarm.how far does it expand tire width?

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
28 Feb 2007 06:58 #116014 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Extending swingarm
While we're at it, Wireman, is there a weld on kit available to add that cool looking old school tubular bracing I've seen in pictures?
And as far as the connecting plugs on the stretch, do you have to have them turned on a lathe, or is there some size of steel tube somewhere that just happens to fit perfectly? And how long and what wall thickness should they be?
Sorry for all the questions, but I've been toying with this idea myself.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 09:00 #116047 by wireman
i dont remember ever seeing a brace kit sold for a stock arm,well maybe back in the 70s when everybody was roadracing them but everything is pretty much custom made to fit these days.as far as the slugs go id have some hollow slugs turned down really close to inside of the existing tubing so you get a really good interferance fit remember this is alignment forthe extensions so you dont want any play in there.id drill some 3/8" holes in the existing arm going back about 2-2 1/2" and push the extensions about 3" into each end of the tubing and plug weld them and butt weld the ends up really good a little time with a file and belt sander and people will be scratching their heads wondering how you did it.;)

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
28 Feb 2007 09:29 #116066 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Extending swingarm
Thanks Wireman. This would be an easy job for me except for two things. I don't have a lathe, And I'm not quite sure how to bend the tube for the horseshoe other than filling it with sand, capping the ends and blasting it to orange hot with a rose bud and bending it around a pipe.
Think that would work?

And about that interference fit (assuming I find a lathe), do you think making the plugs a couple thousanths larger than the swingarm tube ID, and heating the tube up to shrink fit the plugs in would be too much stress?
Or should they just be a light hammer fit?
I do realize if I do it this way, I'll probably have to build a solid jig to keep it all straight.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 09:37 #116068 by wireman
id make them just tight enough where you can tap them in with a hammer,i dont remember if the tubing on the swingarm has a weld line on inside ,you might need to clean it up just a little with a die grinder.;)if you can get a rough idea of what you want your brace to look like and the dimensions you might be able to find a shop locally that does welding and fab work that has a mandrel bender that can make the parts for you ;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/02/28 12:40

More
01 Mar 2007 08:05 #116372 by JAILBAIT
Replied by JAILBAIT on topic Extending swingarm
I have a stock swingarm that has been extended 4". It has the stock locations for the struts and the brake arm. It is striped right now, but is ready for some finish sanding and some paint or powdercoat. I can include the struts that I made and it will lower the bike about 2" also. If your interested PM me

More
01 Mar 2007 21:08 #116603 by WISCONSINKZRACER
Replied by WISCONSINKZRACER on topic Extending swingarm
D&G chassis makes very nice extended swingarms, they are kinda slow making them but they are very nice and affordable, all chrome molly and tig welded. mine was 10 inches over stock leingth, an it cost me $450.00, if you want to contact them the number is 727-544-3663, i think they are in Florida